Beginner's Info

I'm an almost broke college student looking into buying my first gps and start caching. I've been looking at GPSr in the range of $100-$140 (etrex models and such), but I would like to know from some people who have been around a while: what other special equipment is helpful? I realize that all i *really* need is a GPSr, but it seems that many people use software packages and things like that.

So what are the basic things most people use/need?

Thanks,

corgansmuzzle

To do the very basic geocaching stuff:

A GPS unit with a data transfer cable (com port or USB). An Etrex would be fine.

A copy of EasyGPS Freeware loaded on your computer. Links at geocaching.com.

I would not reccomend a unit that does not support data tranfer and required only hand entering of coordinates!

Try the GPS Garage Sale forum section for used units. The reason that we have used units is that once you get a GPS and start to see all the other uses for it (like driving directions, or mapping software) upgrading is in your future!

Happiness is not in having what you want ..... but wanting what you have!

:huh: ImpalaBob

For free software, consider GPS Trackmaker and DG Terrain Viewer. You may find GPSBabel useful.

For inexpensive software, consider Microsoft Streets & Trips (less than $30 at Wal-Mart or Sam's). I've used it many different ways, including making push-pin maps of all caches in an area, mapping crumbrail tracks, creating routes, and if you have a PocketPC it comes with a free copy of PocketStreets.

Another inexpensive software package is GSAK -- an EXTREMELY useful tool! If you're hard up for cash, you can run the trial until you're able to register it. It'll throw up nag screens until you can afford the fee -- which will be money WELL spent!

Lastly, buy a normal compass. They're great for triangulations and they serve as a backup if your GPS's batteries die or the GPS malfunctions.

If you're really on a tight shoestring budget, and also new to GPSr technology, then I would suggest you should consider grabbing a used model from Ebay or something like that. Spend minimal $'s on your first unit, this will keep your budget in check, and while using it you will learn of the many other features that are offered in higher end newer models. After a while you will be much more familiar & informed on what sorts of features are important to YOU.

You're probably going to wind up upgrading later anyway,, the chance that you will get a machine on an entry level budget that will satisfy you for years to come is pretty slim. So buy a cheapo model to get you started. And no, you don't "need" a model that connects to PC, that is just another feature.

Aside from the GPSr, there really isn't a lot of other equipment required for Geocaching. A good set of walking shoes/boots is obviously important as is clothing appropriate for the climate you're caching in. Also a mechanical compass is important to have especially once you get close to your cache/target.

Have fun! ;)