Mapsource City Select V6

This is what should happen (the way it worked with version 6):

They will announce that there is an update. You request an update CD. When you update and register the product, they will charge you $75 (half price, or half of MSRP) and give you an unlock code. If you unlock V6 after the release date of V7, then you will get the update for free. If you unlock close to the release date, you can call Garmin and they may cut the price on you. I got my V6 for $37.50, and I have heard of people getting it for $25.

I know someone will correct me if I'm mistaken, but my understanding is that updates to the MapSource software (i.e., the 'engine') are free. It is updates to the locked navigation/mapping software (i.e., City Select, City Navigator, BlueChart, etc.) that you may be required to purchase (see the link below for more detail).

Click here for a link to Garmin's policy regarding locked product upgrades.

Click here for a link to download (for free) the latest version of the MapSource software.

I upgraded Ver 6.1 City Select N/A to 6.5 just the other day.  6.5 allows opening .gpx files.  It was a free upgrade on Garmins web site. :ph34r: ImpalaBob

Just for the sake of clarity...

I believe what you actually upgraded was the MapSource software (the 'engine', so to speak) and not the City Select North America navigation software.

To confirm this, open MapSource and click on Help --> About MapSource. First, you will note the version of MapSource is 6.5. Next, click on the button in the upper right corner that reads "Product Info...". You will see a list of the navigation/mapping products you have loaded into MapSource and you will see the version(s) associate therewith. You should see that your City Select North America version is 6.01.

Hope that helps...

Edited by Bird Hunter
If you unlock close to the release date, you can call Garmin and they may cut the price on you. I got my V6 for $37.50, and I have heard of people getting it for $25.

How soon after you unlocked your v5 did v6 become available? It would be helpful to know how Garmin prorates the discount. I just bought v6 and I might be willing to wait a bit to unlock it if I can avoid the $75 upgrade fee this summer.