Second-guessing myself about averaging

Guest scooterj

Guest scooterj

it back on, gave it a few moments, and returned.... it still said the cache wwas 26 feet away.

I looked over my list of numbers again and noticed that the final four readings I had taken were identical, and they also matched the reading my unit was currently showing. I speculated that for the first 7 sets of number on my list that perhaps the unit simply hadn't locked in yet. So, I abandoned my average figure and instead logged the cache as being at the coordinates that my unit had now registered 5 times in a row.

Now, a day later, I am second guessing myself. Did I speculate correctly and do the right thing? Or should I have stuck with my average figure?

Guest Markwell

Try using your averaged number today as a waypoint and go back to it. When you're right on top of the cache, see what your distance to the cache is and what your error is. If your distance is less than your error, you should be OK. Bottom line, do what you feel is right on your coordinates. If they're really wrong, people will let you know - fairly quickly icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Markwell

Try using your averaged number today as a waypoint and go back to it. When you're right on top of the cache, see what your distance to the cache is and what your error is. If your distance is less than your error, you should be OK. Bottom line, do what you feel is right on your coordinates. If they're really wrong, people will let you know - fairly quickly icon_biggrin.gif

Guest arffer

If you showed only 26 feet away when you were on top of the cache, then you've got it. I routinly find caches that my GPSR says I'm 35 feet away from while standing next to it. Your simply within the accuracy of the consumer GPSR is all.

Remember, when we hunt a cache, we typically give up on the GPSR and start hunting by compass and/or by hand somewhere under 100 feet.

I think you did it right, and your numbers are good.

Guest HomeChicken

arffer is right. I go back to stuff and I'm always 30 feet away. I also hid a cache and when standing ontop of it I was 28 feet away.. your fine another thing to do is go back tomorrow and see if you are again within 30 feet of it

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

placed one cache Here

--HomeChicken