Explorist Easier To Use Than Etrex

After much debating and a case of the cheapskates, I decided to update my yellow etrex to an eXplorist 300. Now I'll grant you they are not the same level of GPS, but I find the interface on the eXplorist far easier to use and much more intuitive. For openers, after 4 years of using the etrex, I never knew which button to push when. Because the eXplorist buttons are where I can see them, and labeled in white, I am already using this thing like I've have it for years.

In the middle of my house I'm finding 6 satellites and getting a 3d fix in about 45 seconds. Outdoors it's locked on in seconds. Also, the electronic compass makes it way easier to use. I'm glad I went for one with the compass. I think it's a feature that is underrated.

I know, I know, I'll be sorry it doesn't have the computer hook up, but I never even owned a cable for my eTrex, and the same feature set with a computer connection in a small case was at least $100 more.

For now, I'm happily navigating.

Tom

If you got through 4 years without feeling a need for a cable hookup to your eTrex, I'd say you made a good choice. While there are some commonalities that tend to emerge, we all have to remember that GPSr use is pretty darn personal. Your choice to get along without computer connectivity is an informed one, and I say more power to ya. If and when you decide you *do* need connectivity, you can always upgrade again.

Thanks for the report.