Staching a cache in a park

Guest Lurker Above

It's considered good policy to ask permission of the land steward (in the case of a park this would be the park rangers) prior to placing the cache. Granted, it's not always necessary, but it's up to you to make the call. If you're referring to a national park, forget about placing a cache there. Geocaching in national parks is prohibited.

Guest SnowTiger23

So why is geocaching illegal in a national park? How about a national forest? I think it would be cool to have one at a ski area. Most of the areas are on public forests here in Colorado.

perate agency who haven't (yet?) outlawed geocaching, therefore, you may still place cahces there. But it's still prudent to ask permission to avoid potantial problems. And it allows them to decide if and/or in what areas the cache should be placed as they know the property best and can advise against potentially fragile areas which we may not be aware of.

I'd imagine one in a ski resort would be fine.

Guest CaptHawke

quote:
Originally posted by SnowTiger23:

So why is geocaching illegal in a national park? How about a national forest? I think it would be cool to have one at a ski area. Most of the areas are on public forests here in Colorado.

If you want the the official story from Marcia Keener, Program Analyst, National Park Service Office of Policy in DC look here:

A Dialogue with the National Park Service

and

Virtual Caching in National Parks

The st. louis area geocachers got this note about one of theis caches via the geocache website. we picked up the cache today. they were very nice and gave me some conservation dept stuff for the cache.

glenn

-----

Sir,

The Picnic Memorial Cache has been removed. I have setup an account to notify the Cache owners but it has not been validated as of this time.

Rockwoods Reservation is the property of the Missouri Department of Conservation and is one of the few areas where going off the trails is not allowed. There are too many places that a cross country hiker could fall into (prior to acquisition area was quarried and mined for limestone).

The owners of the cache can claim the box by contacting:

Wallace Brumfield

Rockwoods Area Manager