New Feature Request For Benchmark Pages.

bicknell

Often when I've found a benchmark I want to look for others in the area if I have time left over. Currently I have to write down the lat/long, go to advanced search, and type them back in. How about making a link on the page that is "find nearest other benchmarks" (geocaches could have a similar link, and/or both links could be on the summary pages for both types) that automatically did an advanced search centered on the lat/lon of the benchmark you had up.

The link is already there :o . If you go to the benchmark page, then look to the left side of the page, across from the map (above the logs and below the initial description). There is a link for Nearest benchmarks and geocaches. Good luck finding them!

Doh. You know I looked at the bechmarking pages about 5 times and went right over it every time.

Ok, I'm going to revise my complaint.. :o Perhaps the user interface for the benchmark and geocache pages should be more similar, being used to the more verbose find on the geocaching pages I missed the terse version on the benchmark pages. Seems to me making that aspect of the two pages the most similar would be useful.

Actually the reviewers have been using a similar design to the benchmark page for cache listings. I haven't made any changes to the cache listing page for a while and want to wait until every new feature in the works has been done before overhauling that design. Users like you are very comfortable with the current design and I don't want to make any changes unless it is necessary.

The cache pages do feel more polished to me than the benchmark pages. I have always attributed that to the fact that there are more cachers than benchmark hunters, and therefore should be worked and refined more. But it has always seemed strange to me to put the description under the logs for instance. The map is smaller on the benchmark page as well, adding to the different feel of the page.

BTW, I just noticed that the cache pages have a link to the nearest trail. That is a cool feature that I hadn't thought of. :o

Possibly of more use with benchmarks than caches would also be a "map area", that is, show a wider map, maybe 2mi x 2mi with all the benchmarks or caches or both on them. Benchmarks in particular often reference each other so seeing them all on a map can help.