Hyperlinks in log entries

Guest unclerojelio

Guest unclerojelio

I know this must have been covered before so I did make an honest attempt to search but I couldn't find the answer.

How does one create a hyperlink in a log entry?

I've tried UBB Code and straight HTML. The HTML is stripped and the UBB didn't parse.

------------------

--

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

Guest JamieZ

Uncle,

As far as I know, you can't. I've seen people post smilies and change text color though... and I dont know how they do that, so maybe I'm not the guy to ask.

Jamie

Guest Markwell

You can - kind of.

Type the whole URL with spaces around it. The system recognizes it as a URL and creates a hyperlink. Unfortunately, we can't do any ?click this link? formatting to make it look nice.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

You can - kind of.

Type the whole URL with spaces around it. The system recognizes it as a URL and creates a hyperlink. Unfortunately, we can't do any ?click this link? formatting to make it look nice.

Take a look at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14548 The log by Aquaman has "click this link" type formatting.

Sorry to seem persistent but the geek in me HAS to know!

quote:
How does one create a hyperlink in a log entry?

You can only do "click this link" type formatting to other pages on the geocaching website. Basically, what happens is when you use the

<a href="url">
tag in a log entry, the site automatically appends an http://www.geocaching.com to the beginning of it. So you can link to a cache or travel bug, or any other page that has a url beginning in http://www.geocaching.com simply by removing that portion of the URL.

Specifically, you can link to a cache like this:

<a href="/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12360">Thornhollow Creekside Park Cache</a>

and it will display as this:

Thornhollow Creekside Park Cache

For URLs that are not on the geocaching website, the best you can do is simply type the URL. It automatically links any website beginning with

http://
similar to how it did the geocaching site above.

But I'm not sure if it only works with IE or if it works on netscape as well. It is not script. The Tag your looking for is Text It scrolls the text from left to right.

I'd use it sparingly though. It can be pretty annoying.

Markwell

Hello Markwell, I clicked on your hyperlink and checked out the section on GPS accuracy. You stat ed that a GPS unit is accurate to within a 30' radius. A 30' radius circle has a area of 2,827. square feet not the 188.5' stated in the hyperlink. A 7.5' radius circle would equal 188.5 square feet. Am I missing something?

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Looks like he mistakenly used the formula for the circumference (pi D) instead of area (pi r squared) icon_wink.gif

Worldtraveler

Yep, I did. Haven't looked at that portion of the website for quite sometime. I'll check it all out with a big math geek later and see if I can refine it and put up a corrected version soon.

Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Looks like he mistakenly used the formula for the circumference (pi D) instead of area (pi r squared) icon_wink.gif

Worldtraveler

Yep, I did. Haven't looked at that portion of the website for quite sometime. I'll check it all out with a big math geek later and see if I can refine it and put up a corrected version soon.

Markwell