Cross-country Driving - City Select

RB_Nielsen

I recently drove out to Utah and Nevada from Iowa. I conducted business along the way and specifically in Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. I loaded the City Select maps for both SLC and LAS into my Garmin V (yes you can load both SLC and LAS using ver 6), and relied on the built-in map set for the rest. My son followed along in his 4x4, and his Garmin V. It was interesting to compare mapping results, which were pretty much exactly the same all the way. For example, both units encountered a calculation error on the interstate in Oklahoma City.

I was impressed that for the most part the built-in maps were very useful. For example, we stopped at the Federal Building memorial site in Oklahoma City to pay our respects. The built-in maps managed to get us to the site, and back onto the interstate afterwords.

Our strategy of loading only those maps into the GPS where we knew we'd need more detailed info worked very well. People sometimes seem to discount the actual detail and usefulness of the built-in map-set, and perhaps concentrate too much on how much detailed maps their unit can hold. Hopefully this provides a good example for those who will use their GPS for cross-country travel.

Edited by RB_Nielsen

Thanks RB. Since I've long departed with my beloved GPS V, I've upgraded to a 60C and 60CS, a Vista C and a Quest. The GPS V was (and still is) a fantastic unit, with the exception of it's meager 19MB of detailed map storage and slow serial interface. Though I've not had the opportunity to use any unit on a long trip, it's nice to know that the basemap really can come in handy. One thing I find amusing is that my Vista C has 5MB of memory over the GPS V...and I'm finding fault with that! I think I got along reasonably well with the GPS V for well over a year... ;)