Questions Re: Gps Units

hawk4hire

Hi all - I am new to Geocaching... I currently have a Magellan Map 330. I am looking to expand and would like to choose between the

1) Magellan Meridian Color

2) Garmin eTrex Legend C

Any suggestions as to which one is better?

Thanx in advance

hawk in Ohio

Edited by hawk4hire

Hmm.... the garmin being small and compact, the magellan being the size of a small brick :laughing: , but having unlimited expandable mapping (assuming you have that many sd cards). Having used extrexs a bit, I came to like there size. Easy to slip into your pocket in crowded places, easy to find a pocket on your jacket, vest, or backpack to find a place to store it. But being able to change the detail maps by changing out a card is appealing. (why isn't stupid garmin releasing new units with this capablity?)

Did you consider your last gpsr as big? small? don't care?), also the (meriC??) has a bigger screen (but how the resolution actually compares I don't know). Another thing to consider might be how easily you adapt to new setups. I mean if one has menus or buttons layout that is similar to your last, it might come easier to go with that. Some people have compained when changing that their new one had the menus priotized 'wrong', or the buttons weren't in the 'right' places... I don't want to scare you, especially since you get a manuel and the forums are full of people who will answer your questions, just throwing ideas at you, if you're one of 'those' people. Maybe you should try to find some local cachers, friends/family, or a store, that will let you toy with the units in person. Even better if you can power them up and see how the screen looks to you.

edit: meant to include links

legend c

meridan color

Edited by welch

I also use a Map 330. I have to agree with Welch about the size factor. As big as the 330 is (compared to the Legend), the Meridian is even bigger. What you have to ask yourself is WHY do you want to upgrade? Are you moving up just to get a color screen? The Meridian site doesn't list the screen size but does list the display as being 120 x 160 pixels. The Legend C lists the screen size at 2" diagonally with 176 x 220 pixels. The photo's and overall size of the Meridian seem to indicate to me the Meridian screen is larger, but not as high resolution. Are you upgrading to get more memory? The Legend C comes with 24mb internal. I think BrianSnat said in that amount of memory, he gets an awful lot of NJ/PA area. Don't know how much of Ohio and neighboring states you could fit in there. But, if you are travelling alot, the Meridian would be the way to go as you could use memory cards. Want the upgrade for color and memory? Guess you would have to weigh each factor.

Something else you may want to consider. You probably have the Magellan MapSend software. If so, I believe you can use the same software for the Meridian. That's money that you won't have to spend. With the Legend C, if you want detailed maps, then you would have have to buy the extra software.

Thanx all ofr the replies. My main reason for upgrading is the color as well as the road mapping feature.

Although I like my Map 330, I am looking for the "upgradability" and color of a new GPS.

tHe main feature I am looking for is the mapping ability. I travel between Ohio and SC and would like the automapping feature.

Thanx again for sharing your insites.

Also the additional "feature" is the fact that Magellan is offering me an upgrade on the Meridian plus software for approx $300. For the same amount I could purchase the Garmin - I actually like the Garmin color better but am uncomfortable with the lack of being able to upgrade the Garmin.

I guess my big question would be - how important is the factor of adding more memory. I have several SD chips as I use them for school as back ups.

Once again - thanx -

hawk

I guess my big question would be - how important is the factor of adding more memory. I have several SD chips as I use them for school as back ups.

Depends on what you need the detailed maps for, and if you'll have a way to update the maps as you go.If you have a laptop with your mapping program and can upload new maps every night/day as needed, then you may not need such a large memory.

Or if you just want the maps for highway travel, the basemap might have what you need. But if you need detailed data the whole way you might have trouble getting it all in there (I say might because I have no idea how big the the maps on your route are)