Kevlar reinforced Lycra?

Guest dustystar

Guest dustystar

Walking in 90 degree heat and 90 percent humidity wearing blue jeans is not fun. With the running/skiing/biking tights made of Lycra being so comfortable, has anyone made those tights with a Kevlar coating so we can wear them geocaching through the thorns without getting ripped to shreds?

I don't think that would work. Kevlar fibers are very strong but they are also very slippery. So if you have kevlar pants that where the same thickness as your denim pants the briars would actually have an easier time getting through to stick you. Not to mention that Kevlar does not stant up to exposer to UV light very well. And why would you want to make then into tights. Ugh! eek.gif Tights are evil enough. Thats just what we need bullet prof tights. rolleyes.gif

Try a nice loose fitting pair of really tightly woven light-weight canvas pants.

mcb

[This message has been edited by mcb (edited 23 July 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

So if you have kevlar pants that where the same thickness as your denim pants the briars would actually have an easier time getting through to stick you.

This reminds me of the guy (did he win a Darwin Award?) that put on a bullet-proof vest and got his "friend" to stab him. The stabber got off with something less than murder one because the stabee literally asked for it, but he got a few years even though he was a complete idiot.

quote:

Thats just what we need bullet prof tights.

(Cue the music used in those IBM/Lotus commercials... "I am, I am superman, and I can do anything....")

Guest CaptHawke

Orienteers solved these problems years ago.

Treklite Orienteering Equipment has knickers and gaiters designed for running through brush and thorns.

Want custom sewn clothing?

The Compass Needle

Jeanne Walsh

25 Summer Street

Milford, NH 03055-3933

603-672-3511

No connection to either business, but I've seen Jeanne's work and its first rate. Her husband Bob has planted a couple nice geocaches, so if you needed a custom top with a gps pocket or a built in bandolier for your extra AAs she would probably understand.

[This message has been edited by CaptHawke (edited 23 July 2001).]

Guest mazda626

If you want thorn protection on the cheap cut up an old pair of jeans and use rubber cement to add a second layer of denim to your jeans down the front of your thighs and shins. This will act like chaps to keep out the thorns.

Not very chic but functional and durable. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by mazda626 (edited 23 July 2001).]

Guest mazda626

If you want thorn protection on the cheap cut up an old pair of jeans and use rubber cement to add a second layer of denim to your jeans down the front of your thighs and shins. This will act like chaps to keep out the thorns.

Not very chic but functional and durable. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by mazda626 (edited 23 July 2001).]

Guest dustystar

And why would you want to make then into tights. Ugh! eek.gif Tights are evil enough

Lyrca does not lie. Folks that like to wear lyrca usually have great looking legs. Sorry if I offended anyone that hates tights. tongue.gif As a runner in cool and cold weather, tights offer an excellent cover, are unrestrictive and don't tend to flap away from my legs to catch thorns and brush. Add the sweat wicking action and lycra, or one of those similar fabrics, offer a good choice for many applications. The only drawback for me is their lack of toughness. cool.gif

Guest Prime Suspect

ercent humidity wearing blue jeans is not fun. With the running/skiing/biking tights made of Lycra being so comfortable, has anyone made those tights with a Kevlar coating so we can wear them geocaching through the thorns without getting ripped to shreds?

Lycra is very stretchy, while Kevlar has very little stretch to it. A bad match. And Kevlar can be nasty stuff to work with. I used to use it for my stunt kites. Before knotting it, you have to cover it with a sleeve of Dacron, or under pressure it will simply cut itself in two at the point where it's knotted. And because of its rough texture, the lines had to be wax coated, or you'd lose control after just a few twists.

Guest raptorrider2001

A pair of bird hunting pants work very well protecting the legs. They are similar to chaps. Usually a heavy duty nylon type material sewn onto the legs. Most sporting good stores that carry hunting supplies will sell them. If you have an Academy store near you, they carry them. They are in the $40 - %50 range and worth every cent.

Guest brokenwing

I've been thinking about buying some BDU's for Geocaching. (For the uninitiated, BDU stands for Battle Dress Uniform, or US Army field uniforms.) They are lightweight, (at least lighter than jeans) and fairly resistiant to punctures and tears. Plus, all the pockets would be handy! I'm just not sure they make them in fat man sizes. I've gained weight since my Army days!

brokenwing

Guest Lou C

brokenwing, be careful with the BDUs. I generally wear them a lot of the time. I had a bad run-in with a biker who was absolutely rude to me. Instead of getting hostile back, I kept my cool. But I can't help but think he may have been put off by my looks with the BDUs on. It does make one look sort of para-military, survivalistic, gun goon, Rambo-ish. But, I still wear them anyway because of their functionality.

[Now speaking out of the other side of my mouth]BDUs are really great because they are extremely strong, are resilient to scratching and tearing, and have lots of functionality with all the pockets. On mine, I especially like the cords that come out of the pockets. They are great for tying on things you don't want to lose - like a GPS receiver. Go for the BDUs, but be ready for some odd looks and maybe some confrontation.

Lou

Guest brokenwing

Thanks for the tip! I thought I'd just wear the pants anyway, so maybe I won't look too menacing. I also thought I'd look for something other than camo. I know they make them, it's just a matter of finding them!

Thanks,

brokenwing

Guest nlazarus

I prefer to use BDU's they protect my legs from insects and scratches. I avoid camo patterns and olive green to avoid the rambo image, I have them in brown and khaki. They are lighter and roomier than jeans and the deep pockets are a big help.