What GPS to buy??

Guest Dawn

Hello. My husband and I are getting ready to join the Geocaching world, but I have a question on what GPS unit to buy.

Money really isn't an issue. We want a GPS that we can use when we travel also, so we want one with realtime mapping capabilities. We would also be using this unit for geocaching. What units would you guys recommend or not recommend? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Dawn

If money is no object, then the current best is the Garmin V.

I say current because in the Magellan Gold just started, or is close to starting shipping. It just may match or exceed the Gramin V, but there are no reports in on it yet.

I agree with Arffer.

I have a Garmin V and love it!

For in the car, just type in an address or select a waypoint/destination and it takes you there. Really fantastic. Got mine from advancedgps.com.

Don't know much about the Magellan Gold but it also should be a winner.

Thanks for the replies. So, what would be the middle of the road GPS with realtime mapping? Just trying to get a feel for the products without spending more than we really need. I take it that the Garmin V is good under trees?

Thanks again!

Dawn

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Dawn:

Thanks for the replies. So, what would be the middle of the road GPS with realtime mapping? Just trying to get a feel for the products without spending more than we really need. I take it that the Garmin V is good under trees?

Thanks again!

Dawn

Realtime mapping as in what? Street maps or just a map screen with tracking ability and the possibility to upload topos and such? Most units have a map screen to help you see your tracks and waypoints (but thats about it), it just depends on what else you want that map screen to do. If you want a basic basemap of the area then you are looking at the Magellan Map 330, the Meridian Gold (i think, the hardcore Magellanites will know better), Garmin GPS Map76, GPS III+, or the Etrex Legend or Vista. If you want to use the unit for turn by turn directions in street/road travel (auto-routing) then the GPS V is what you may be looking for.

And yes, the Garmin GPS V is amazing under tree cover. :~) It works where my Etrex Venture doesn't even try.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Iron Chef:

If you want a basic basemap of the area then you are looking at the Magellan Map 330, the Meridian Gold (i think, the hardcore Magellanites will know better)

Okay, I guess this marks me as a "hardcore Magellanite", but I'm okay with that. icon_wink.gif

The Meridian GPS (the low end of the new Meridian line) has a 2MB basemap. The Meridian Gold has a 16MB basemap, as does the Meridian Platinum. All three have the same map upload characteristics and use non-proprietary SD cards (which means you can have as many maps as you care to, and you benefit from the economy of scale due to the increasing use of SD cards in many devices).

In other words, the MAP 330 is a great receiver, but if you want the better water protection of the Meridians (IPX7, the same as many Garmins), or if you want to be able to have 64MB of maps in your receiver just in case (like me), go with any of the Meridians.

(FYI, my MeriGold arrives Wednesday, and I already have a 64MB SD card waiting. I would have gotten a 128MB card, but since the 128MB cards are still ramping up, they currently cost about 3x the 64MB ones.)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 14 October 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

quote:

If you want a basic basemap of the area then you are looking at the Magellan Map 330, the Meridian Gold (i think, the hardcore Magellanites will know better)

Okay, I guess this marks me as a "hardcore Magellanite", but I'm okay with that. icon_wink.gif

The Meridian GPS (the low end of the new Meridian line) has a 2MB basemap. The Meridian Gold has a 16MB basemap, as does the Meridian Platinum. All three have the same map upload characteristics and use non-proprietary SD cards (which means you can have as many maps as you care to, and you benefit from the economy of scale due to the increasing use of SD cards in many devices).

In other words, the MAP 330 is a great receiver, but if you want the better water protection of the Meridians (IPX7, the same as many Garmins), or if you want to be able to have 64MB of maps in your receiver just in case (like me), go with any of the Meridians.

(FYI, my MeriGold arrives Wednesday, and I already have a 64MB SD card waiting. I would have gotten a 128MB card, but since the 128MB cards are still ramping up, they currently cost about 3x the 64MB ones.)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 14 October 2001).]

Guest c_oflynn

Hey Dawn,

I guess since you are just starting you figured this would be an innocent little thread icon_smile.gif But I have to warn you its like asking "Which is better, Chevy or Ford?". Now its Garmin or Magellan. By the way, Magellan rocks tongue.gif

-Colin

Guest c_oflynn

Hey Dawn,

I guess since you are just starting you figured this would be an innocent little thread icon_smile.gif But I have to warn you its like asking "Which is better, Chevy or Ford?". Now its Garmin or Magellan. By the way, Magellan rocks tongue.gif

-Colin

Hi Colin. I understand that. I'm a Chevy lady, but the hubby is a Ford driver. Go figure. Can you tell me more about the Magellan Gold? Does it do turn by turn directions? What are the prices? Thanks.

Dawn

Hi Iron Chef,

I don't know what else to call it. We are wanting a GPS that will show us on a map where we are going as we go there. Anotherwords, one that moves with us. Does that make sense? Does the Garmin III do this? I've been reading on some of the units, but the options listed don't list much about the maps. Thanks.

Dawn

Guest ClayJar

The Magellan Meridian series receivers (GPS, Gold, and Platinum) do not do your turn-by-turn directions for you. I'm assuming that without having received my MeriGold, but if they did have that capability, I have a feeling Thales Navigation would have mentioned it somewhere. icon_wink.gif

Now, being a good Magellanite, I'll have to add that having a good, rugged receiver with a plentitude of map data uploaded is Good Enough. I've been out on the hunt and marked out a road route to a cache with no problems. While turn-by-turn may have saved me the five minutes I spent relaxing and routing between hunts, I'd rank it below memory cards and look-and-feel (but that's why I ordered a Meridian; you could easily have differing priorities).

All mapping GPS receivers show your current position and direction on their maps. As far as I've seen, all mapping GPS receivers can also be set to have up mean either north or forward (i.e. they will let you choose to either rotate the "you are here" arrow or the map).

Guest ClayJar

The Magellan Meridian series receivers (GPS, Gold, and Platinum) do not do your turn-by-turn directions for you. I'm assuming that without having received my MeriGold, but if they did have that capability, I have a feeling Thales Navigation would have mentioned it somewhere. icon_wink.gif

Now, being a good Magellanite, I'll have to add that having a good, rugged receiver with a plentitude of map data uploaded is Good Enough. I've been out on the hunt and marked out a road route to a cache with no problems. While turn-by-turn may have saved me the five minutes I spent relaxing and routing between hunts, I'd rank it below memory cards and look-and-feel (but that's why I ordered a Meridian; you could easily have differing priorities).

All mapping GPS receivers show your current position and direction on their maps. As far as I've seen, all mapping GPS receivers can also be set to have up mean either north or forward (i.e. they will let you choose to either rotate the "you are here" arrow or the map).

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

Hi Everyone

What is with the All Region Unlock code for the Garmin V???? Do all GPS's only work in certin regions??? icon_wink.gif j/k Clayjar

------------------

-Iron Chef

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 15 October 2001).]

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

Hi Everyone

What is with the All Region Unlock code for the Garmin V???? Do all GPS's only work in certin regions??? icon_wink.gif j/k Clayjar

------------------

-Iron Chef

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 15 October 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

quote:

If the Garmin V were an metal, it'd be Titanium icon_wink.gif j/k ClayJar

Okay, I'll give you the point for detachable/external antenna, but you'll have to concede the point for memory, since even the one SD card I already own is 64MB. The GPS V has finally caught up in number of buttons, so that one's a draw, and of course, the point for ruggedness will be decided in the field. icon_wink.gif

Now, as for the metallic representation of the Garmin GPS V, it would obviously not be titanium (Ti). V is the symbol for the next element over:vanadium.

quote:
A bright white, soft, ductile metallic element found in several minerals, notably vanadinite and carnotite, having good structural strength and used in rust-resistant high-speed tools, as a carbon stabilizer in some steels, as a titanium-steel bonding agent, and as a catalyst. Atomic number 23; atomic weight 50.942; melting point 1,890°C; boiling point 3,000°C; specific gravity 6.11; valence 2, 3, 4, 5.

(By the way, it's the chemical engineering degree that did this to me. icon_biggrin.gif)

Guest ClayJar

quote:

If the Garmin V were an metal, it'd be Titanium icon_wink.gif j/k ClayJar

Okay, I'll give you the point for detachable/external antenna, but you'll have to concede the point for memory, since even the one SD card I already own is 64MB. The GPS V has finally caught up in number of buttons, so that one's a draw, and of course, the point for ruggedness will be decided in the field. icon_wink.gif

Now, as for the metallic representation of the Garmin GPS V, it would obviously not be titanium (Ti). V is the symbol for the next element over:vanadium.

quote:
A bright white, soft, ductile metallic element found in several minerals, notably vanadinite and carnotite, having good structural strength and used in rust-resistant high-speed tools, as a carbon stabilizer in some steels, as a titanium-steel bonding agent, and as a catalyst. Atomic number 23; atomic weight 50.942; melting point 1,890°C; boiling point 3,000°C; specific gravity 6.11; valence 2, 3, 4, 5.

(By the way, it's the chemical engineering degree that did this to me. icon_biggrin.gif)

Guest CaptHawke

quote:
Now, as for the metallic representation of the Garmin GPS V, it would obviously not be titanium (Ti). V is the symbol for the next element over: vanadium.

Sure, vanadium, a substance that is toxic, mildly reactive with air and $100 a gram! I think I'd rather have a Magellan Meridian Gold in the real thing, Au.

Cephas 'Bring Back the Gold Standard' Hawke

Bedford, NH

Guest Iron Chef

I'll admit that I'm jelous of the fact that Magellan has a better memory system now (more space and Im guessing a faster record time onto the SDs via USB or such), but 19MBs is still a pretty decent amout of space considering the jump from 1.44 in the III+. :~) The removable antenna is nice... but only if you have the dough to spend on an external one and then all the extra batteries you'll need. If only Garmin and Magellan would learn from each other faster then we would all have killer units.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what we new GPSR purchase we are attempting to rationalize to ourselves (and our Sig.Other in some cases) this time next year. icon_smile.gif

Guest Iron Chef

I'll admit that I'm jelous of the fact that Magellan has a better memory system now (more space and Im guessing a faster record time onto the SDs via USB or such), but 19MBs is still a pretty decent amout of space considering the jump from 1.44 in the III+. :~) The removable antenna is nice... but only if you have the dough to spend on an external one and then all the extra batteries you'll need. If only Garmin and Magellan would learn from each other faster then we would all have killer units.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what we new GPSR purchase we are attempting to rationalize to ourselves (and our Sig.Other in some cases) this time next year. icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

quote:

Or the Garmin V could be interpreted as Boron 5

Bzzzt! No, I don't think I've ever seen isotopes marked with Roman numerals. icon_wink.gif

Now, on the other hand, valences are often depicted as Roman numerals, which would make it the 5+ ion of Garmin, but I don't think Garmin is an element. Of course, if it becomes one, it would be a high-number radioactive man-made one, and I don't think they'd want to imply that their receivers have a half life that can only be expressed with very cool sounding SI prefixes. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest ClayJar

quote:

Or the Garmin V could be interpreted as Boron 5

Bzzzt! No, I don't think I've ever seen isotopes marked with Roman numerals. icon_wink.gif

Now, on the other hand, valences are often depicted as Roman numerals, which would make it the 5+ ion of Garmin, but I don't think Garmin is an element. Of course, if it becomes one, it would be a high-number radioactive man-made one, and I don't think they'd want to imply that their receivers have a half life that can only be expressed with very cool sounding SI prefixes. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Iron Chef

Errrrr....yeaaaa.... icon_wink.gif

Guest Iron Chef

Errrrr....yeaaaa.... icon_wink.gif

Guest GPSteve

If you have made up your mind about which unit to purchase (I have a Garmin eTrex Vista), you may want to check out Eastern Mountain Sports web site. They are having a club day on October 26th.

On club day, anyone that can demonstrate membership in an outdoor oriented club receives a 20% discount.

Regards,

GPSteve

quote:
Originally posted by GPSteve:

If you have made up your mind about which unit to purchase (I have a Garmin eTrex Vista), you may want to check out Eastern Mountain Sports web site. They are having a club day on October 26th.

On club day, anyone that can demonstrate membership in an outdoor oriented club receives a 20% discount.

Regards,

GPSteve

How do I get the above qoute into my message to respond to?

My question is does being a registered Geocacher count as membership in an outdoor club to qualify for the EMS discount & how do you prove it?

Chris

imf16@aol.com

Hi again.

Think we've decided on the Garmin V. Next question. Is there anything else I need with the unit or is the unit good by itself?

Is 19 mb enough or do we need more? How many maps will 19 mb hold? Thanks again guys!

Dawn confused.gif

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

Hi again.

Think we've decided on the Garmin V. Next question. Is there anything else I need with the unit or is the unit good by itself?

Is 19 mb enough or do we need more? How many maps will 19 mb hold? Thanks again guys!

Dawn confused.gif

The Garmin GPS V should have everything that you need in the box. There is a stylish case that Garmin sells for it, but that is just extra silly stuff. The GPS comes with the PC cable, a car cigarette-lighter power adapter, a car mounting thingy, and the CD for the maps.

19 MB is a fixed amount for the Garmin V, you can't add more memory or get less. But it does hold a large amount of data. 19 MB is enough to hold most of Northern California's City Select Maps, a relatively large area of data. Since your back east, it should be easy to have a few states in the V. Good luck, you picked a great GPS!

------------------

-Iron Chef

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 18 October 2001).]

Guest GPSteve

quote:
Originally posted by crusso:

How do I get the above qoute into my message to respond to?

My question is does being a registered Geocacher count as membership in an outdoor club to qualify for the EMS discount & how do you prove it?

Chris

imf16@aol.com

When you register for club day on the EMS web site, they offer serveral choices of outdoor clubs:

Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Sierra Club , etc. There is also a place for "other". You could try entering Geocaching.com and then let us know what happens.

Regards,

GPSteve