Got My Lowrance H2o!

sbur6

I received my H2O in the mail yesterday from GPS Explorer. I was disappointed at first because when I opened the box I pulled out a Magellan SporTrak Pro Marine and I thought "Man! They screwed up the order!". Then I looked under the foam peanuts and there was my H2O! They dropped an extra GPS in the box on accident! I called them and they knew they were missing the unit and were about to start calling customers. They are sending UPS to the house to pick it up. I could have kept it I suppose, but that wouldn't have been right.

Any way, about the H2O. Here are my first observations:

1. The unit is a little bigger than I expected, but I guess it has to be to house that BIG screen!

2. The screen is fantastic! Great resolution and great size! SporTrak owners would be amazed at the difference. So would Garmin users as far as that goes.

3. I don't like the battery cover. It is hard to put back on. It's pretty tight fitting. I guess it has to be to keep the water out.

4. The rubber cover for the external antenna connection doesnt stay closed and that is a little annoying.

5. The maps are a lot more complete than the Magellan SporTrak Pro was. There are roads on the H2O that weren't on the Magellan. At least this is true for North Texas.

6. I used it to navigate to work this morning and the accuracy was better than the STP.

7. Time to aquire Sat. lock is VERY fast! Even in my living room. I used it in the car and never lost the signal with the unit sitting in the passenger seat.

8. Very user friendly

9. Hotmaps fishing maps look very good on here and are easy to install and run

10. The MMC card stores under the batteries so I would suggest getting a large MMC or SD card and load the biggest area you can into the unit. I have a 128 MB card installed with 100 MB of maps and it loads them VERY fast.

11. The zoom in and out is very fast. Actually everything on the unit is faster than the STP. I guess the dual processors really help.

Thats all for now. More as I get time time to play with it.

ScottB