Garmin Etrex Display Problems

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista with a quirkly display problem. Every now and then the display screen gets horizontal lines running through it and then it goes blank. To get the display back I whack (yes, whack :D ) it on the left side a couple times and the display is restored.

I'm thinking it's probably a loose connection and have talked with two other cachers with the same problem occurring on their Legends. Has anyone run across a fix for this? (other than sending it in to Garmin for a refurb?)

Thanks!

TCK - C

Actually, I just got mine back from Garmin today. Check out my post in the Canada forum.

I purchased my Legend in January 2003 and I've sent it back twice for the screen scramble. It took a couple of nice emails, but they finally agreed to fix it out of warranty.

I got a new (likely refurbished) unit back within 3 days of Garmin receiving it.

Mike

Not sure what to tell you.....

My was out of warranty from the original purchase, but only 1 year from the first refurbished unit I received.

In my emails to Garmin, I mentioned that I purchased the Mapsource CD, rechargeable batteries, a carrying case, a dashboard mount, etc. etc and I really expected a product worthy of these costs. I stressed that since it was a known problem of the Etrex series I expected them to stand behind their products.

I finally got an email telling me to send it in.

My next email would have said, "What do you want to see in the Geochcaching.com website 'Great service from Garmin' or 'Poor service from Garmin'".

Never had to take this route though.

Mike

Taxman,

I hear ya. I told him that this was getting to be "an expensive little toy!" He reduced my price to $95, which still sucks, if you ask me. I failed to mention that I'm the admin of another board and have a writeup about the eTrex there (and its greatness)(which has now been edited, LOL). Maybe since mine's a little older he's giving me grief, I guess I shouuld have talked to them back when it started happening a little to find out what was going on.

Overall I'm disappointed with ALL of Garmin's products. Including the cigarette lighter adapter, which broke too easily too, and their Mapsource software. I can't say I really beat this stuff up too bad, since I am pretty good at taking care of things I spend alot of money on. But we do Jeep ALOT, and trails are sometimes bouncy. We use the Garmin dashmount or the carrying case with the lame plastic window, so I can't really say that the unit is falling over or getting tossed out the window, but it will sometimes get over 100°F.

Nope,

First unit was purchased new. It crapped out in June 2003 and a new (likely refurbished) unit came in September. Started going squirelly in June 2004 contact them and told them that I'd return it in September (as I wanted the unit through the summer). Second new (or likley refurbished) unit now being put through the wringers!

Have a history of them going flying in a vehicle but that's all the dropping it's ever received.

Mike

Wow. That was actually one of my concerns in the first place. If I have this one fixed for $95, how long is it going to take for it to give out again? He assured me that it would fix the problem and it wouldn't happen again. I thought, "yeah, right."

I'm still not sure what to do about all of this, and they've said that they offer a ridiculously expensive extended warranty, from the very short 90-day one that comes with the repair.

Talk about standing by your product!!

:blink:

I have not done this but may need to in the future with my Legend. But I have "cleaned" connectors on several other things, including the hard drive connector on this laptop (when it wouldn't recognize the drive.)

Spray your contact cleaner on a QTip and rub this on the contacts. Get a good qualtiy cleaner with a preservative (like Silicone) Spray it on the inside contacts with the straw. Some cans have an adjustment for flow.

Ok I followed the instructions and all went well. Took less than 10 minutes to complete. The only down side I see about doing myself is I doubt the unit is waterproof/resistant anymore. As far as I can remeber the unit has never seen water and if it rains that bad I can always put it in a ziploc baggie. This is my backup unit so it probably won't see much use. Once I find some decent double sided tape I will pull the rubber band off and try to reseal the unit.

Good luck to those that try,

Tim

Good to hear that it went well Teah yGEOh! As for the waterproofing, I would assume that it won't matter to 99% of us. My buddy kayaks and the unit gets quite wet, but other than than a small spattering of rain won't likely hurt it any. However, moisture could enter the unit which wouldn't be good.

There must be some kind of gunk you can buy to seal the unit up again. Maybe not waterproof, but water resistent anyways.

Mike