Newbie intro and some ?'s...+ a note for Jeremy*

Guest tedoca

Guest tedoca

Hello everyone,

Well, I'm hooked... and I haven't even begun to search for a cache yet.

Saw a story about Geocaching on my local morning news the other day (Tuesday?) and I've been checking you guys out pretty thouroughly ever since. Bet I've read through a thousand posts or more here on the message boards as well as checking out dozens of other related sites on geocaching, letterboxing, GPS units, camping/hiking, etc, etc, etc... my head and my notebook are chock full of new information, checklists, ideas, and of course, a few questions as well.

As a teenager (I'm pushing 40 now), I was quite an avid hiker and backpacker here in the Mid-Atlantic area and logged many, many miles and nights on the AT (Appalachian Trail) and the C&O (Chesapeake & Ohio Canal) trails as well as quite a few other popular areas that folks from this area may be familiar with, i.e. Dolly Sods, Old Rag, Carderock, Sugarloaf... and the list goes on. Alas, time, circumstance, and career, carried me away from my childhood pursuits.

Most of my old gear is still stashed down in the basement and now, thanks to this group of enthusiastic folks, I've got a darn good reason to press some of it back into service.

I've managed to convince my wife that an ailing back and a few extra pounds are reason enough to head back to the woods for some recreational hiking but I secretly appreciate any good reason to purchase a new, high-tech gadget such as a GPS unit. I love gadgets, and around the house I am known as "Gadget Man" (maybe I should change my nickname, huh?). For those of you that may be interested, I'm also an Amateur Radio Operator (callsign N3YKX), and I think there may be some possibilities out there for combining these two great hobbies.

After much research and consideration on which GPS unit to purchase, I've ordered the Magellan Map 330x package from Amazon.com for $279.00. Looks like a pretty good deal as it comes with the mapping CD, the PC/12 volt power supply cable, and the vehicle mount. I added, at additional cost, the leather belt clip case.

[Note to Jeremy: I used your link, but after much jumping around to find the unit and accessories I wanted, I'm not at all certain that your site received the 5% commission.]

After reading through the posts on this site (thanks so much to all of you who have contributed), and considering the dense foliage and heavy tree canopy we tend to have here in the Mid-Atlantic region (at least during the summer months), I think a GPS unit with an external antenna is my best bet.

I'm also a Residential Real Estate Appraiser and sometimes have to locate as many as 30 residential homes per day in order to photograph them, so I was looking for a unit that also offered street mapping capabilities and the Map330x package seemed to fit the bill. (Plus, that way I can write it off on the taxes as a legitimate business expense!)

I'm looking forward to embarking on my first cache hunt within the next couple of weeks and have some great ideas for cache's of my own too, assuming the sites I remember from my teenage years are still there and in as unspoiled condition as they were way back when.

I've always been a strong advocate for the environment as well and I appreciate and espouse the rules of ethics you folks have established for yourselves, i.e. "cache in/trash out." (ask me about the first time I took my wife camping, I guarantee you'll get a laugh out of that one.)

I followed with great interest the debate over equitable trading in a recent thread posted by Utah Geocachers, though I have yet to form an opinion of my own due to my lack of experience. I will keep you posted however, on where I come down on this issue... I found that thread particularly interesting.

The questions I have at this point are mostly esoteric as I have managed to garner most of the technical information I felt I needed from the very informative posts I've found right here in this forum. However, I do have a couple of concerns...

First and foremost in my mind is the statement directly from geocaching.com that one should verify the legality of placing caches on property owned and/or maintained by the U.S. Park Service. Because I live in a rather "urbanized" area, most of the locations that I would consider placing a cache fall within the boundaries of Park Service land. Is this a problem? Whom do I contact for approval? Are they likely to give approval? What expereience have other Geocacher's had in this area?... etc, etc, etc.

My second question is in reference to kids... while I have none of my own, I am an "Uncle" to many and would enjoy dragging them along with me on a "treasure hunt." As a "non-parent," it seems to me that kids would be terribly disapointed should it turn out that no cache was found... should I "scout out" my locations prior to taking kids along with me, or just let them take thier lumps along with the rest of us? What has your experience been?

My third question deals with maintenance of placed caches... I have read many posts of individuals who have placed upwards of a dozen or more caches of their own... (and seem to brag about it), sometimes many miles from thier homes. It would seem to me that that would be very difficult to manage. Are these people THAT dedicated to the hobby that they are willing to sacrifice their time and effort to drive, sometimes hundreds of miles, simply to verify that their caches are intact and OK or are they relying upon others to do that work for them? Seems to me that this might lead back to the found versus placed debate as I feel that simply placing a cache and not maintaining it afterwards is not really an acceptable practice.

My final question at this point is of a technical nature and has to do with "archived" caches. When a cache goes bad, or is looted, or stolen, or for whatever reason needs to be removed, what is the procedure? I've found nothing on the geocaching.com site about how to find/report/declare archived caches. How does that work, where do they go, can I look them up, etc, etc etc? Seems to me that if a cache were archived we could all learn from the mistakes of others if we could simply look them up and see exactly where/why they went wrong.

Sorry to make my first post on this forum so long but I'm sure you kind folks understand. Look for my name in the future as I'm certain to have more questions as I get started in this new venture. Thanks for all the insight I have gained from past postings and I look forward to your comments and sugestions.

Hope to see you on the trail,

Terence

Guest brokenwing

est bet.

Just a note, as much as I love my Magellan 330, you should be aware that it does not allow the use of external antennas.

Thanks,

brokenwing

Guest tedoca

Hmmm,

Well, I must say that I was hoping for a little more constructive critisizim than that... perhaps I mis-spoke when I used the term "external" antenna... I was simply referring to the difference between the typical Garmin configuration of an "internal" patch-type antenna as compared to the typical Magellan type antenna which protrudes slightly from the case and, from the postings I've read, seems to perform much better under heavy cover. That's all...

I guess my years as an amateur radio operator have left me just a little bit biased in the realm of antenna's as I am now aware of just how much difference a good antenna can be in (especially) receiveing a signal.

Thanks for the info,

Terence

[This message has been edited by tedoca (edited 28 July 2001).]

[This message has been edited by tedoca (edited 29 July 2001).]

Guest bunkerdave

Well, all I can say is "welcome." I appreciate you concern over many of the same issues that concern me. I can tell you are a thoughtful person (one who thinks a lot) and that is what I like to see. I hope that as a group, we can come to some resolution of the problems with cache trading.

Regarding the maintenance of caches, I agree with your point. I have placed three caches around 300 miles from my home, which is obviously quite a trip to check on them. The other 3 are not nearly so far, but are still a day buster to get to, more or less. I have checked them each at least once. The others have only been visited once, and were all okay when they were visited. I spoke via telephone with the finder, so I figure that is as good as a visit by me.

In Utah, a group of us is starting to become organized into a committee that tracks missing caches and verifies if they are missing or not. This is clearly much too big a job for one person, but several people can handle it. I have wondered what the procedure is for logging missing caches, because it is difficult for a seeker to know if the cache is actually GONE, or if they just couldn't locate it. I have personally logged over 100 finds, so I am certainly qualified to check up on those I have found, but we are nearing 300 caches in Utah, so there are lots more I would not have a clue about, and I am not about to go out hunting for a cache that might not even be there.

It is critical for the integrity of the cache database that people log ALL hunts, successful or not, because this is the only way a cache owner will know of any problems. If I see three or four non-finds pop up on one of my listings, then I need to get out there and check on my cache. As long as people are finding it, then it is okay. (Except that it might be full of useless junk, but that's another thread.) It is unavoidable that people will eventually quit the sport. They will most likely not bother to remove their caches, or their cache postings. I would like to see a protocol for this situation, where the owner could contact other cachers and the active cachers could "adopt" the retiring cacher's caches. It would have to initiated by the retiring cacher, however, which makes that unreliable, IMO.

As you begin caching, you will no doubt see things occurring that will either make you proud to be a part of this, or will make you embarrassed. I know I have seen my share of both. It has been great fun to get together with other cachers in my area and place/hunt caches, and just to hang out.

I also bought the MAP330X, and have been pleased with it. I don't know if it is the best, but it does everything I need it to, and then some. You can always spend more to get more, but sometimes more is just more. I think you will be happy with it. If you want any tips, e-mail me, and I'll be happy to share what I do know.

Guest Markwell

Welcome from the Chicago area too!

As far as kids on caches go - I hope you read the article in USA Today over the weekend. I've met David April (and ribbed him quite well about going to all the trouble to respond to USA Today - and then NOT have the right coords icon_wink.gif ) and his kids. I also drag my almost 6yo with me on every cache hunt.

Even though both of our kids have been on many hunts, from what I saw, they don't feel too disappointed when they don't pan out. Kids are happy that you're spending the time with them.

I would suggest however, to really sink the hook deep: for the first cache with the kids, choose a 1/1 level - and find one that has been found recently. It should be an easy walk, and you're reasonably sure it's still there and not been mauled by a raccoon. If you've already found one in the past, it's even nicer if you let the kids find it on their first outing as well (even if you spot it 30 feet from where they're looking).

Yesterday, my wife and I took my son on one of the most miserable cache hunts I've ever been on...mosquitos the size of a buick, stinging nettles, and a 50% grade hill to go down and then back up. On top of that, we didn't dare stand still long enough to get the cache, even though I knew where it was. My boy this morning asked me if we were going Geocaching today. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 29 July 2001).]

Guest Markwell

Welcome from the Chicago area too!

As far as kids on caches go - I hope you read the article in USA Today over the weekend. I've met David April (and ribbed him quite well about going to all the trouble to respond to USA Today - and then NOT have the right coords icon_wink.gif ) and his kids. I also drag my almost 6yo with me on every cache hunt.

Even though both of our kids have been on many hunts, from what I saw, they don't feel too disappointed when they don't pan out. Kids are happy that you're spending the time with them.

I would suggest however, to really sink the hook deep: for the first cache with the kids, choose a 1/1 level - and find one that has been found recently. It should be an easy walk, and you're reasonably sure it's still there and not been mauled by a raccoon. If you've already found one in the past, it's even nicer if you let the kids find it on their first outing as well (even if you spot it 30 feet from where they're looking).

Yesterday, my wife and I took my son on one of the most miserable cache hunts I've ever been on...mosquitos the size of a buick, stinging nettles, and a 50% grade hill to go down and then back up. On top of that, we didn't dare stand still long enough to get the cache, even though I knew where it was. My boy this morning asked me if we were going Geocaching today. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 29 July 2001).]

Guest n1niq

Welcome de n1niq and n1pnt. Its nice to see another amateur getting out of the ham shack and getting some sun. icon_smile.gif I've also thought of combining ham radio and geocaching but nothing has come to mind yet beyond carrying a radio on a hunt. If you get any ideas let me know.

Chris N1NIQ

Guest n1niq

Welcome de n1niq and n1pnt. Its nice to see another amateur getting out of the ham shack and getting some sun. icon_smile.gif I've also thought of combining ham radio and geocaching but nothing has come to mind yet beyond carrying a radio on a hunt. If you get any ideas let me know.

Chris N1NIQ

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by tedoca:

My second question is in reference to kids... while I have none of my own, I am an "Uncle" to many and would enjoy dragging them along with me on a "treasure hunt." As a "non-parent," it seems to me that kids would be terribly disapointed should it turn out that no cache was found... should I "scout out" my locations prior to taking kids along with me, or just let them take thier lumps along with the rest of us? What has your experience been?

You can simply email the cache owner and ask if the cache is suitable for kids. They should be able to give you an answer without spoiling any of the fun.