Egnos

5nomads

I have seen several references in the boards to EGNOS, as the European version of WAAS. Can someone tell me if this is functioning currently? If a GPSr with WAAS capability has the WAAS function turned on, will it receive the EGNOS correction data from the sat? And if it does receive the data will it identify that sat as it does for a WAAS signal?

I use a US unit (60CS) in Europe, since I'm just here temporarily, so thus why I wonder about the common reception of WAAS and EGNOS.

Thanks,

Yes, you can recieve EGNOS with Garmin units that are WAAS capable. Here is a list of the satellite #'s you will see:

WAAS - PRN 122 - Inmarsat 3F4 (AOR-W) Garmin 35

WAAS - PRN 134 - Inmarsat 3F3 (POR) Garmin 47

EGNOS - PRN 120 - Inmarsat 3F2 (AOR-E 15.5°W) Garmin 33

EGNOS - PRN 124 - Artemis (21.5°E) Garmin 37

EGNOS - PRN 126 - Inmarsat 3F5 (25.0°E) Garmin 39

You must enable WAAS, (or EGNOS), first. This will take about 20 minutes in an area with an open sky view. It will cycle through all the sat numbers first. Once you get the almanac downloaded from the sats, you will see one or two of these numbers. You should also see some indication of corrected sats, (little "D's") over some of the sat bars.

EGNOS was scheduled to be up and running by April 04. Where it is or not I do not know, BUT it will at least be in test mode and you can become familiar with it. If it is in test mode the sats will flag a "DO NOT USE" indication of some sort. It is really just a Do Not Trust flag.

REMEMBER you must enable WAAS/EGNOS first! Be patient.

Hi, I'm in the UK also.

The last I heard EGNOS should be fully operational from 1st October 2004.

At present it's still being tested and I have yet to get full EGNOS satellite lock.

Some UK cachers have had brief sat lock and 3ft accuracy but only for very short periods of time.

There is a topic on EGNOS in the UK forums where you,ll be welcomed by all us UK cachers.

Yep, you're right EraSeek, thanks.

I checked it today and had 5 out of 8 sats with "D" marked above the signal bar. I assume it is still in test mode from what was said above, so will lurk on the UK forum. Thanks again,

(corrected terrible spelling)

Edited by 5nomads