MetroGuide CDs worth high price?

Guest pgmay

I'm a newbie who is about to buy my first GPS (thinking Garmin eTrex Vista -- comments welcome). I'm trying to decide whether to also buy the MetroGuide USA CD. I plan to primarily use the GPS for hiking and geocaching so it doesn't seem worth the price tag. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Guest TresOkies

MetroGuide USA (the 4.0 updated version) is the MapSource product I use the most. The others have serious problems (old data, imprecise data, unlock codes, etc). MetroGuide has good urban and rural data and does not require an unlock code. I use it for my eMap and my StreetPilot III autonav system.

I find that I use MetroGuide for more than just downloading to my GPSR. I have it open on my PC just about all the time. But my use may not be normal.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest benjamin921

I think once you have it you won't regret it. The base maps are OK to start with but then after you start playing you will want more and more detail. You will just start out in the woods, then have it on the dash of the car and then...well you can see where I am going with this.

It has more road names than say Mapsource R&R (at least in my area when I compared the two).

Any way have fun with the Vista.

Guest sbukosky

I have Metroguide and Roads and Recreation. You can get Roads and Recreation for less money and for Geocaching it is good. Because it has so much less data than Metroguide, you can load a much greater area in a given data chip. Metroguide uses more space because it had address look ups and so much information on restaurants, points of interest and so on. Not all useful for Geocaching.

------------------

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

8 MB of memory will cover a rectangular area with Perth Amboy in the southwest corner and Scarsdale in the northeast - Manhattan is about in the center. This is using the new MetroGuide-USA with the routing data turned off. The memory requirement goes up to 12 MB with routing turned on for a GPS V or SP III.

I highly recommend the MG maps - once you have them you'll find lots of new uses for your GPSr.

Guest peter

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Peter, What if you add in Long Island? With and without routing?

It about doubles the previous numbers - around 16 MB without routing, just over 24 MB with.

Guest Alan2

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

It about doubles the previous numbers - around 16 MB without routing, just over 24 MB with.

Tks Peter. I have the Vista so the routingings not required. THat'll leave me 8M for topos and ROad amnd Recreation for other areas. I'd really like the find address feature but I'm not sure if it's worth the loss in coverage I'd hate spending so much money on Metro and then not use it.

Alan

The latest version of the Metroguide is more accurate and contains more detail then ROADS & REC maps. If you have a vista, then splurge for the Metrogude and you will not be disapointed.

Now while you can also load topo maps as well and switch them in and out as desired, it is actually a pain to do so on the Vista. So much so that I only did it once and never again since it was so cumbersome to do. Now that I have the Metroguide, I'm only loading my travel and geocaching needs into my Vista.

The only reason for getting the Roads & Rec map is if you have the Venture or Legend since their smaller memory requires more consideration about the size of map that you load into those GPSR's.

I only use the GARMIN topo maps in the Mapsource PC program to check out coordinates and plot approach waypoints with some sence of the land.