"advertising" Caches..

I have several times seen people reminded not to "advertise" their caches on here, yet the guidelines for laying a cache include the advice: "If you're a member of the geocaching mailing list, feel free to send it there as well. Most (if not all) of the geocaching sites read the list. "

I don't know what is meant by "geocaching mailing list" in this context but, if it's OK for a mailing list why isn't it OK on here?

Thanks

In the past people got upset because the forum was filling up with loads of "come to my cache" type adverts which wernt very interesting if you lived nowhere near the cache. Eventually the moderators at the time decided on a no adverts rule.

Generally people will see new caches on the weekly mail from GC.com - or you could advertise freely at GeocacheUK.com. There are now an awfull lot of caches planted every week, if each one had an advert topic there would be no room for all the "congrats on your 100" topics :laughing:

Chris