Detailed Searches

Team Thompson

I'll say right up front, I would have assumed this has been covered before - but I did not find it in my searches. If it has already been covdered, my apologies. :lol:

Anyway, as great as GC.com is, I would love to be able to do a detailed cache search for keyword which also encompasses the cache descriptions (and possibly notes added to the cache - though that may be a bit too much). I would like to be able to do this either from the regular search page, or from a pocket query. For example, I am about to place a cache out that revolves around a certain subject and I am interested to see if there are other caches out there that are also based on this subject, but the search features do not allow me to do that. The only thing I can search is the cache name, so if the subject mater in the name I am in luck, but not if it is in the description.

Thanks, and keep up the great work on this site!

Edited by Team Thompson

sbell's gotcha covered for online full text searching.

For PQ's, the functionality is already present in third party applications. For example, in Watcher (which I use for working with PQ's), when I've opened my pocket query file I can click on the space at the top that says, oddly enough, "Click to Search." I then receive a prompt asking whether I want to search just the cache description, or also the logs and travel bug records. The results are returned pretty much instantly. Very nifty. Most recently, I used this feature to search for "bike", "bicycle" and similar terms so that we could locate nearby caches we could reach on our bicycles.

Never thought of a Google search, ingenius! As for the PQ using Watcher - I'll try that but I don't think it will owrk much for what I want to do. I want to create a travel bug along a theme and have it visit other caches of that same theme - so I was hoping to do a search of all the US caches to see how many have that theme.... my PQ would be huge to capture all US caches! Maybe I'll try a smaller area and exptrapolate from that.

Thanks for the info, it was very helpful.

Edited by Team Thompson