Level 1 caches vs. level 3-4-5....Discuss

Guest Co

urrounding areas, we have a an observation.

It seems that there is an over abundance of level 1 hunts and not enoough of the higher difficulty levels.

Now, before anyone takes this the wrong way, we loved the level 1 hunts that we went on this last weekend. Even though they were level 1, they were not necessarily easy to find and much fun was had by all. But, after researching the various caches in our area and reading some of the previous threads, it seems that maybe people are not taking full advantage of the options available to them when placing caches.

While level 1's are fun to start with, you don't want to only have level 1's to choose from.

When checking out the "container icons" we saw that there is the option for a multiple cache. Where you go to one location and then that leads you to another and so on. We used to do something similar for friends on their birthdays and are currently trying to come up with locations and themes for a couple multi part caches.

What we want to know is, why there aren't more of these? Why aren't there more even level 2, 3, 4 caches?

Maybe there is a good reason, but we would think that after a while, level 1's would get repetative. I don't think you have to throw in special equipment requirements to make a good level 2+ hunt. Maybe we are wrong since we are new.

We am not trying to start any kind of fight, just trying to get some opinions before we go designing our caches.

Any opinions are GREATLY appreciated!

Dave & Chris

Dep&Uno&Co

Guest k2dave

Dependng where you seek the caches will determine the difficulity to some degree. If you are in an urban (NYC) or densly settled suburban area (LI) it will be dificult to hide a cache over 2 stars.

Also a one star cache to me is one that a handicapped person could do. That said the level 1 caches I've been to should really be 1.5 or 2.

A multi cache is somewhat harder to place as you will have to hide multiple caches and write clues on the trail.

I have placed a multi cache which is just one cache pointing to the final cache and for one reason or another I had to go between the 2 caches about 4 times.

Perhaps you should take a day trip to an area that has multiple level 2+ caches or plan an activity near a 2+ cache so if you find it early you have something to do. (I've placed one 3.5 in the catskills).

Guest Markwell

First, I hope you've read the discussions here and the outcome here. This will give you more of an idea of what the consensus has determined the various levels will be.

That being said, I think the level one caches are easier to set up and when people start off hiding caches, and they end up doing easy ones. I know in Illinois it's hard to come up with a level 3+ terrain (everything here is sooooo flat), but I've done a level 5 difficulty multi-cache and am planning another soon. Doing these types of caches take more time and preparation than finding a cool spot to take the kids and placing the cache 20 feet off trail, which is probably why there aren't more of them. And a lot of Neocachers are just starting this hobby. They haven't become as completely obsessed and addicted as the rest of us.

I also agree and like the level 1 caches as well, even though most would fit into the level 2 based on the forum's discussions mentioned above. They are perfect ones for me to take my whole family.

I guess the best way to get more difficult caches is to start placing them, and maybe others will follow suit. If people start seeing how much fun it is for a themed multi-cache, they'll start thinking of ways they can make their own.

Meanwhile, I'm still holding out for an expansion of the searchability on the "Seek a Cache" page, where you can enter either a maximum or minimum terrain or difficulty rating. Then you could see the closest caches that are rated above 3/3 for example, or if you were looking for one for the family, you could see everything below and including a 2 terrain and 1 difficulty.

Guest rusty

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

And a lot of Neocachers are just starting this hobby. They haven't become as completely obsessed and addicted as the rest of us.

Neocachers! I haven't seen that one before, I like it.

I think if those placing caches use the current rating consensus there aren't many true level 1 caches, either in difficulty or terrain. Most should fall in the 2 range. I like caches that have a little thought behind there placement, regardless of the rating. Rowing a boat to the middle of a lake and dropping a cache in might create a 5/5 but it isn't very interesting and doesn't take a lot of creativity to place.

Rusty...

------------------

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Guest buckascott

This was one of my thoughts exactly. Oddly enough, I found this site -- and hobby -- thru a trade mag called "The Industry Standard" and as a GPS owner who has done a fair amount of metal detecting in the past, Geocaching is right up my alley. As I was browsing thru the list of caches hidden near my south suburban Chicago neighborhood, I wondered why there was such a proliferation of Level-1 difficulty caches. I mean, heck, half the show's over by having the coordinates of the hidey-place. I'm of the opinion that the most fun would be had by putting some thought into how/where you're going to hide something and the clues you give. Kinda sorta like on "Batman" where the only way the Caped Crusaders could figure out where the Riddler was going to strike next was to unravel the riddle.

I'm going to do my bit to turn this tide when I start hiding my first caches within the next week. No stuff sitting out in the open in a bucket, no sir-ee ...

Scott

Guest Lou C

se either just starting or with small kids or just those who like to take it easy. I like to take those folks along too sometimes and I am glad it is easier for them.

The bottom line is this sport/hobby is also an ART. You bring to geocaching a little of yourself as you design a cache location and the hunt for it. Find someone else nearby where you live and have them plant a higher level cache for you to find. Get 2 or 3 others and you could have some real fun challenging each other.

Lou

Guest jc364

I would like to see caches rated ove2 2 in difficulty, but because of physical problems i like the terrain a 1. It more fun to use your brain and GPS to find a cache than it is to have to walk 3 miles straight up to get to it. I have hidden a multiple cache where I made the first cache interesting, and the main cache easy to find. So far it has gotten great reviews. If your interested in what I did with the first cache email me at jc364@aol.com