Can't Get Serial Port To Recognize Gps Unit

yitbos

We just purchased a Sportrak Pro for my father as a gift along with the MapSend Direct Route software. I have loaded the software on an old Dell laptop that I was going to give to my father. When I tried to upgrade the firmware to 5.0, which was required for the Direct Route software, the unit could not be recognized by my computer.

The program was trying to find the GPS unit on com4 and com5, but I was expecting it to be looking at com1 for the GPS unit. It would not give me any options to select a different com port. When I looked in the control panel at the system folder, it would show that the com port was ok and working properly. In that folder, I can see the com1 port and the LPT1 port.

I put the software on my desktop unit and it loaded the firmware instantly when I clicked begin. It found the unit on com1 as I expected. I then loaded some maps from the software without any problem.

I don’t know why the laptop can’t connect through the serial port on com1. Does anyone have some suggestions as to what to do? My father can’t take my desktop unit, I need that, so I would really like to get the laptop working for him. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Check if the built in modem of the laptop is not assigned on port 1.

Check in BIOS Setup if the com ports are enabled.

Check in port properties in System if the bits per second field is correct, and "data bits" is 8. Try changing the spped of data transfer of your unit.

Edited by garri

Hmm. I've never heard of Magup looking for the GPS on anything other than COM1, which I think is the default, unless told otherwise. So here are some ideas.

First, when starting up Magup, tell it no, you don't want to start the upload. Then click on Expert, check the com setting in the dialog that comes up, click save, and exit the program. Then restart it and go for the automatic upload to see if the com1 setting holds.

If that doesn't work, you can use expert mode to do it all manually. Here are the directions for emegency firmware restoration from the Meridian FAQs; you should be able to adapt them to your SporTrack (I've never *done* it that way so I can't give any personal advice):

Below are the recovery instructions for a dead MAP330 or Meridian. They are written for the MAP330 but they work just as well for the Meridians.

1. If your MAP330/Meridian is in a "locked up" state (stuck on), power it down by holding down MARK/GOTO and the ESC keys and press ENTER. This will power down the unit.

2. Power it up in "Software upload mode" by holding down MARK/GOTO and the ESC keys and press POWER. Unit should power up with a "software upload mode active" message.

3. Run magup.exe, select NO at the dialog box. Click on "Expert" and checkmark "On" for the "Expert Upload" setting (Be sure set the "Unit Type". Use Meridian GPS for the green/yellow or Meridian for the others. With the latest MagUp there is also a Meridian Marine and Meridian Color option) and click "OK"

4. Select the firmware file by clicking on "File" then "Select Code File". The firmware file should have a name like MGPS402.HEX or MGOLD406.HEX.

5. Click on "Upload" and click "OK". Checkmark "Program Code Only". Check "Upload File".

Hope this is of some help. Good luck.

Edited by embra

I don't have a serial mouse on the computer, just the touch pad mouse that's built in. As for the modem, I have a xircom card that fills both pcmcia slots, even though it only connects into the bottom slot. It has an ethernet jack and phone jack built into the card.

The suggestions are great. Thanks for the help. How can I tell if that modem is trying to run the com1 port? How would I disconnect that? Plus, if my daad want's to dial in on that laptop, would that eliminate that option if I find a way to disconnect whatever is connected to the com1 port?

I experience this same problem. The solution that I was given:

First, make sure that HotSync Manager is running. To start it, go to Start/All Programs/Palm Desktop/HotSync Manager.

Once you have HotSync manager running, if you still don't have any luck try this:

1. open Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete,

2. In the Processes tab, look for a couple of programs that may be conflicting with COM1. They will have your name or your computer name as the user name -- NOT "System". The processes that I end that seem to do the trick are SERVIC~1.EXE and HKCMD.EXE. Click on these processes and then click on the "End Process" button.

I don't have a serial mouse on the computer, just the touch pad mouse that's built in. As for the modem, I have a xircom card that fills both pcmcia slots, even though it only connects into the bottom slot. It has an ethernet jack and phone jack built into the card.

The suggestions are great. Thanks for the help. How can I tell if that modem is trying to run the com1 port? How would I disconnect that? Plus, if my daad want's to dial in on that laptop, would that eliminate that option if I find a way to disconnect whatever is connected to the com1 port?

Remove the modem from the PCMCIA slot. Usually that can be done by the push of a button next to the slot, use both buttons to ease the pressure considering it is using both slots. If it works, then you found your problem. Then you can assign the modem to a different com port to eliminate the conflict.

If you see that Magellan programs scans the com3 and com4 without looking for com1 and com2 I think your serial ports are disabled by BIOS.

Retsart your laptop and in the first screen hit F2 o Del key to enter BIOS Setup. Read the users manual.

You can also see the Sportrack NMEA signals in hyperterminal to sure serial and unit works.

enable NMEA in your unit. and run hyperterminal:

Start->Run->write hypertrm-> OK

Avoid Dialup wizard, choose a icon an a name for the sesion, and select the speed and other config of your unit serial comunication. If the hyperterminal wants that you write a phone number write a random number, it is not important.

Once you see the blank screen you will see the NMEA commands of your unit in the hyperterminal.

Edited by garri