Posting caches

Guest ScottJ

A few minutes after reading about this sport for the first time, I'm tempted to grab my GPS and go cache-hunting right now, at 2AM ... but I'll wait 'til daylight. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I'll place my first cache sometime this week, and I wonder -- is it required to fully describe where the cache is located, and post pictures? Within reason, I'd like to leave that final, fun part of the search to the hunter. Now that SA is off, it shouldn't be too hard to find a cache without pictures, should it?

Scott

Guest bobhogan

Scotty-

The amount of the description you want to provide is up to you. If the place you are putting your geocache can be reached by several trails or by parking in several different parking lots, you might want to give directions or coordinates to a preferred trailhead or parking lot. Sometimes having to perform the extra work of finding the right place to begin adds to the adventure.

As for photos, again, it's up to you. I've put photos up for the geocaches we've hidden, but am thinking of either taking some of them down or putting a "spoiler" warning up before potential geocacher hunters look at them.

You might want to look at some of the geocache descriptions given on this website and, finding one you like, pattern yours after it.

Welcome aboard!

Bob Hogan

New England Geocaching http://members.tripod.co.uk/geocaching

[This message has been edited by bobhogan (edited 12-23-2000).]

Thanks for all your input, Bob. I placed my first cache today. I sent the info to the address given; I gather it isn't automated, so I am anxiously awaiting its posting.

It should be an easy one to find, so I gave very minimal information and no photo ... hope it proves to be a fun one.

Scott