Cd's

Tir19 & GreenTerra

Hi all! Tried looking for this info on the TB forum and hope I didn't miss it.

I plan to send out a CD as a TB. It's a great band and I want the whole world to get a chance to listen to it (well....as many geo-people as possible :P ). The only thread I found was someone who puts clues between songs as a hint to a multicache. I've read many sad stories, but enough positives to go ahead with this project. Have there been CD's out as hitchhikers? How do they fare? Suggestions on attaching the tag (rivits won't work) etc... Any advice & comments would be appriciated. I've just recieved the CD & activated the tags but decided to get opinions here before placing it out in the wild.

Thanks!

Lew (aka TIR 19)

Do you have only 1 copy of the CD? I'm guessing that the band is undescovered, right? You probably know the members personally? If this is the case, I'd ask if you can make some copies of the CD. Then if it's damaged, you could have a message in the case saying to contact you for a replacement.

As for attaching it, jewell cases are too fragile. I have a CD case that's a softer plastic. It's slightly larger than the CD and round. You could attach the TB to the case.

I've seen some CD cases that are made of neoprene. If you could track down a case that holds 1 CD, that would protect the CD enough to use as a TB.

I just think that it's probably very unlikely that the CD will survive more than 3 or 4 caches. Give it a shot, though.

F_M

I've been thinking of doing this very same thing for a local artist here in VA. I am awaiting her approval.

As far as the fragile case...how about one of those AOL tins that holds their CDs. The travel bug could then be rivetted to the case. Another idea would be a case like DVDs and XBOX games come in. I know all of my XBOX games have clear plastic over the front that the CD cover could be slipped down inside of. Also they have nice little clips on the inside that could come in use.

BTW: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...18-2a8d1e8097c1 is a playstation game travel bug that I've seen. Seems he lost his tag but had it when I visited.

Edited by hardrockgeorge

Problem 1: keeping it dry. I believe that commercially produced CD's are more resistant to water damage than are blank CDR discs that you would burn yourself. This depends on the brand, though. Some blank CDR have a protective layer over the dye layer. That would be essential, I think.

Problem 2: Physical Damage. I agree that some sort of durable sleeve would be a must. I would recommend one of those cardstock CD mailers. Or basically any of those holders designed for mailing CD's. If it can survive the postal service, it should survive geocaching.

Problem 3: Attaching the tag. You should be able to attach the tag to whatever container is holding the CD. It would obviously be a bad idea to attach it directly to the CD, as it would have to be removed in order to be played.

Problem 4: Virus threats. This came up in a previous thread about using CD's. If you're sending out a burned CDR, many people might be afraid of your CD. They don't know what's on it. For all they know it could be the ComputerEnema.f virus. Honestly, I don't know how many people out there would even think of this. But someone did bring it up on the forums.

Problem 5: Whatcha gonna do when someone really likes the CD and decides to keep it? Ooops! :)

Neat idea. Good luck!

YodaDoe

Hi tir19,

I'd give it a try at least.

You could keep the TB tags and just write the tracking number on the CD and its case.

I'd add a TB sheet (or even do a 'special TB-CD-sleeve) to prevent the CD being regarded as a normal trade.

The cases Fritz_Monroe is referring to are called clam shells, they are quite sturdy.

Another thing is to keep the thing dry, a zip lock bag should work fine.

So, just do it

best

janni93

As for attaching it, jewell cases are too fragile.  I have a CD case that's a softer plastic.  It's slightly larger than the CD and round.  You could attach the TB to the case. 

I've seen some CD cases that are made of neoprene.  If you could track down a case that holds 1 CD, that would protect the CD enough to use as a TB.

Type "c-shell" and "CD" into a Google search and you will get to see some really cool. unbreakable clamshell CD cases you can order from the Internet.

I plan to get some of those before I send my CD TB's out, and I am ordering different colors so they can be color-coded! :D

Edited by Sparrowhawk