Gps Unit That Sends Data Back

DogDogDog

I'm new to the sport and still researching GPS units and what geocaching is all about. Is there a GPS unit that can send waypoint data back via satellite when you're out in the wild?

I guess what I'm thinking of is similiar to one of those child GPS locators that looks like a big candy wristwatch. Like this

http://www.wherifywireless.com/corp_home.htm

but in this case, our unit would transmit a waypoint when you choose.

Thanks in advance!

We Ham Radio operators do this all the time via the ham radio airwaves which include satellites. It's called APRS and there's a ton of information available on how to do it. Many of the "digipeaters" in the APRS network are connected to the internet and allows anyone with internet access to see your position and short messages you may send. It's VERY popular.

Poindexter

I read through the information in this thread, which if you follow all the links is considerable. Then I thought about my new cell phone, which has GPS capability. I can turn the GPS on so it is active permanently, or I can set it to turn on only with a 911 call. Now whether that capability can be harnessed in some way may be yet another issue - but interesting nonetheless

Edited by RB_Nielsen