How often do you check your cache?

Guest Guppy

Guest Guppy

Do you check it more or less often because of it's location, size, type of container or contents? Are we talking weekly, monthly, annually or never?

Guest Markwell

I think more than any of the characteristics you've mentioned, non-Geocaching traffic is a good consideration. I personally check on my caches about once every other month (except for one I placed 600 miles away, which has a adoptive mother) icon_wink.gif

If there's a lot of non-Geocaching traffic in the area, it increases the likelihood of plundering or inadvertant removal. Frequency of checking is going to have to be a personal decision for each cache and each hider.

Guest Markwell

I think more than any of the characteristics you've mentioned, non-Geocaching traffic is a good consideration. I personally check on my caches about once every other month (except for one I placed 600 miles away, which has a adoptive mother) icon_wink.gif

If there's a lot of non-Geocaching traffic in the area, it increases the likelihood of plundering or inadvertant removal. Frequency of checking is going to have to be a personal decision for each cache and each hider.

Guest Elwood

well i have 3 caches out now, my first which is only a mile from my house i check 3 or 4 times a week, its in a city park and so lots of traffic around, my second a microcache,3.5 miles from home, i try to check weekly or every other week, but since its tiny i dont worry too much about it....easy to replace if plundered, my third is on top of a local peak 9162 feet elevation, on a steep and narrow road, i put it up last week not sure when or if i'll get back to this one, but i'll try as more people log it.

Elwood

Guest rpecot

quote:
Originally posted by Guppy:

Do you check it more or less often because of it's location, size, type of container or contents? Are we talking weekly, monthly, annually or never?

I've placed one cache so far. It's pretty remote, so I'm not worried about someone stumbling across it. My one consideration is weather. I think it may be history after the first Tropical Storm or Hurricane passes through. No real bad storms this year, so I'm not sure how it will hold up.

Guest NightTide

I only have 1 cache placed but it is in a well traveled and visited place so I check mine weekly. I just don't want some to take the time to seek it only to find it gone or plundered. Ok so it is an excuse to get outdoors.

Guest makaio

g a plundered cache, will cleanup the area of any strewn about items and report it to the cache owner so the cache can be archived. Still, as a cache owner, we can't depend on others to perform this task for us. If we place an item somewhere, it's solely our responsibility to ensure all traces of it are removed if/when the time comes. KnNowing you will not be able to live up to this responsibility and placing a cache anyway is unnaceptable.

Guest bradrobb

The one cache I placed is about a 5 minute drive from where I live. It is in a busy park and I try and check it once a week and leave a log report so hunters know it is still there.

The other cache I placed I have checked it twice as it is about 200 km away. But I will check it this weekend.