" CACHE CONTENTS "

Guest sjdavis

Guest sjdavis

I have seen a growing number of new caches in the area that contain household/auto supples. Some in Nation Parks or Forest.

I suggest that if a cache is placed in a Historical/National Park or Local Landmark that you want to have locals or out of towners visit, cache placers must be a representative to the area.

A descent tupperwear container or ammo can is not to much to ask, and a little though to its contents. (Trinkets, lotto scretcher, coins, games). And if the placer does not plan to maintain the cache, it should be picked-up. One thought came to mind; Do not frequent caches with such items. Any and all thoughts/ideas are welcome.

Guest Lazyboy

You know I should agree with you, but, I've done exactly that, then had a cache that was 500 miles away get plundered. Know what I did? I asked ANYONE to please replenish the cache, and a geocacher did exactly that. So the cache is intact once more. Nice group of people we have.

Guest Ron Streeter

I live in central California's San Joaquin county and most of my caching is in this area, Sacramento and the S.F. Bay area, but I have visited Oregon and Arizona and have searched for caches there.

I have placed caches in both visited states and chances are I won't be back there to maintain them, but cachers who find them help me maintain them...after all, how much does it take to bring in a new plastic bag or even a new container?

In Oregon I "placed" a virtual cache THE RUINS, which virtually all Oregon cache finders admitted they didn't know was there. I think this is one of my favorite cache "placements"....and it doesn't need any maintenance at all.

In Arizona I placed a physical cache near a pioneer cemetary (Skippy) and another a few miles away from some Indian cliff dwellings (Lifesaver). Most of the Arizona cachers who found these admitted they wouldn't have gotten to the area UNLESS the caches had been placed there. I think we take sights for granted in our own state.....caches have led us back to them. The Arizona cachers have helped me maintain those caches too.

Just my 2 cents.

I have been thinking of placing a few caches back in North Idaho on my next trip, but maintaining them is something that I have been thinking of.

The question I have is this, how big of a deal is it? It seems to me that from most of the logs that I have been reading, people tend to maintain caches as they find them. I don't think I have read any log entries that reported a problem with a cache that wasn't corrected by the person logging it.

I am not saying that you should not be responsible for your cache, it is your responsibility, but if someone from elsewhere placed a cache here in Southern Arizona, I would be happy to keep an eye on it for them.

Guest DenaliNW

I would agree with what both progun and Ron have stated. Caches seem to be cared for by most who visit them. I have plenty of personal experience in this with my own caches, and am thankful for those who I don't know - who have taken the time to check up on missing/lost caches and confirm or deny the reports.

I'm not sure exactly what sjdavis frustration was, but would only agree with him if all diligent effort had been made to contact the cache owner, and confirm if a destroyed or neglected cache was still important. (Example: We have a cache up here that seems to be gone, but the owner has not responded to email). Even then, I don't think I would remove it - I think I would simply notify Jeremy and seek for it to be archived.

We live in the San Joaquin Valley Area and visit the San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach area at least once a year. We just placed two caches there while visiting a few weeks back. One person has already adopted our Pismo Cruisin cache. He lives close by, and was the first to find it. I always put my email address in the log book and we struck up a conversation in email. It's really cool that people will adopt a cache and care for it. We already have agreed to meet them and have lunch at a nearby burger place on our next visit. That's one of the great things about this hobby/sport, the people.