TRANSFORMER

I bought from radio shack a transformer that I plug the car cable into allowing me to run the GPS UNIT at home w/o running the batteries down.

Does {here comes the dumb question} this also charge the batteries? Does the cable connecting to the power source in the car charge them? Or does this unit simply adjust AC/DC CURRENT or 12 volt current as the case may be allowing the unit to run on that power rather than batteries???

Thanx. icon_confused.gif

Although you don't mention the brand or model of GPS you have (which would normally be a good idea in the case of a technical question like this), I can state quite confidently that the batteries are not being charged. Every GPS that I'm aware simply changes the power source from batteries when you plug an external power cord into it.

Jamie

My Garmin GPS76 doesnt charge batteries when i use the adapter cord. It switches between the internal batteries and the power delivered from the cord when plugged in or out. There might be a GPSr out there that may charge when plugged into an external power source. I havnt seen one myself. Of course you would have to have rechargeable batteries installed for this to work!

The reason that these units don't allow the batteries to be charged, when an external source is available, is that you can usually use ordinary batteries too. If you would try to charge a common alkaline battery, it would heat up and possibly explode (depends on the power of the external supply).

Since there isn't any real way for the unit to know if you have rechargeable batteries in there or not, they can't allow the batteries to be charged. That's the price you have to pay for the flexibility of being able to use any battery, as long as it fits into the battery compartment.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

The reason that these units don't allow the batteries to be charged, when an external source is available, is that you can usually use ordinary batteries too. If you would try to charge a common alkaline battery, it would heat up and possibly explode (depends on the power of the external supply).

Since there isn't any real way for the unit to know if you have rechargeable batteries in there or not, they can't allow the batteries to be charged. That's the price you have to pay for the flexibility of being able to use any battery, as long as it fits into the battery compartment.

Anders

While a few years ago, I would have agreed with you, I own a few devices (like my MP3 player) which somehow reads the type of batteries. It knows not to charge the batteries if I place in Alkinies. If I replace them with the Ni-MH, the charge indicator lights up and I get a full charge.

Bear

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

My MP3 Player came with a special set of rechargeable batteries, typical AA but with a special bracket that has a tab on it. When they are in the tab presses a switch allowing it to charge, and if I put regular batteries in it plays but will not charge. The only downfall I found with this message is it will not run off auxiliary power without the rechargeable pack inserted.

Warning: Objects in GPS may be closer than they appear!