Mention in National Geographic Adventure Magazine

Guest Prime_Meridian

Guest Prime_Meridian

Since we're all logging media mentions... The July/August 2001 edition of National Geographic's "ADVENTURE" magazine, has a brief mention of the sport on page 24. The article is titled "A Question for Jeremy Irish", the question: Is geocaching a sport or just a geeky hobby? It's a short article but sheds some light on the positive aspects of the sport...

Guest cleenjeep

I guess this is pretty cool, all this attention, eh Jeremy? He he he. although, I for one, have never really been the computer geek type.. I am more of an outdoor adventure type, I just find that geocaching is fun in my down time from bigger adventures! I also use it to find things to do when I am on boring trips as well!! Ha, there goes their stereotypes!!!

Michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is Cleenjeep's Site

Guest martinp13

e that's what it REALLY is.

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

[This message has been edited by martinp13 (edited 21 June 2001).]

Guest jeremy

I wouldn't get too up in arms. It's just spin. Reporters always take an angle on a story. Regardless, any press is good press. People will learn about geocaching and make their own decisons on the sport/hobby/etc.

Regarding whether geocaching is a sport or hobby, the word "sport" is really defined as "a source of diversion" or "a physical activity engaged in for pleasure." Obviously geocaching fits this bill.

Hobby is defined as "a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation."

So I guess, by definition, geocaching is both a sport and a hobby, but probably more of a sport since some hobbies do not require physical exertion.

Jeremy

Guest martinp13

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

So I guess, by definition, geocaching is both a sport and a hobby, but probably more of a sport since some hobbies do not require physical exertion.

Neither do some sports. icon_smile.gif

------------------

> Martin

Guest martinp13

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Neither do some sports. icon_smile.gif

------------------

> Martin

Guest jeremy

I can top you both. I went to m-w.com and clicked on the link that had the nice lady read the word "hobbyist" back to me. I then looked up bigger words just to hear her pronounce them.

Jeremy