Secret Item

Guest PharoaH

Guest PharoaH

This thread is gone and I really enjoyed reading all the creative ideas. So here's my guess:

I think Jeremy is working on an offline version of the cache database on CD-ROM, for when we're out on the road w/o a net connection.

Guest Markwell

I dunno Pharaoh - the CD ROM version. Problem is once you take a snapshot of the database, it's stale. If there's any caches archived, you've got old data. Not good.

I think it's the cache rating system based on "quality" of the caches from the finders. This had been discussed many moons ago in the forums, and I'd link you to it - but the history is GONE! <> I hope it's just temporary.

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by unome:

Hey. How about a way for me to access information via my 2 way pager ? Or a lifeline ? You know, "I'd like to email a friend."

I've actually had to do this on two occassions with my cell phone. Luckily, my dad's a geek, too, and usually spends hot weekends in the air-conditioning in front of his computer, not trapsing around stinging nettles and poison ivy holding a GPS.

Guest unome

Hey Markwell, ask your Dad if I can email him with problems. Yes, unfortunatly, I am the only geek that I know. hmmm ... Maybe we could even set up a 24hr Geocache hotline where we have operators standing by like 911. Just imagine ... "611, this is Marcie, how may I help you ?"

Caller, "Marcie, I'm lost. My battery died in my GPS. A bear ate my map. I had to climb a 100" evergreen just to get cell reception. What can I do !?"

Marcie, "Stay calm sir. What was last known position ?"

Caller, "Ummm, the McDonald's at 6th and Pine."