Fox TV station needs your help!

Guest FoxDave

Guest FoxDave

to all of this, so I'm looking for suggestions or advice! If this sort of thing was being done in YOUR area, what would you like to see? (And if you're in the Cleveland area, we'd ESPECIALLY appreciate the input.)

We'd like to get this thing off the ground soon, so send your ideas in today!

Reply to this post, or e-mail me at dumbr325@foxinc.com. Thanks for the help, and, on behalf of all of FOX, sorry about "Temptation Island 2!"

-Dave

Dave,

You should enroll at the Geocaching.com website and post the caches there as well as on your tv site. I hope I speak for all that we really urge you to emphasize that cachers have a profound respect for the environment and are not crashing thru and digging up the woods on a treasure hunt, that we are not just stashing tupperware boxes full of happy meal toys that will become tomorrow's garbage, that we have a respect for public and private land and that permission from the landowners/managers is required. To me, the sport is about enjoying places that other love and are a bit out of the way, as well as providing an outdoor adventure that can sometimes be physically and mentally challenging.

I for one am very leary of how good the quality of TV press coverage can be in the 45 seconds that are alloted to 'spinning' a story to get the maximum ratings, wedged in between a murder for hire story and another anthrax scare. From your description, this doesn't sound like the case and I hope it's not. Don't expect that throngs of searchers will be heading out at the crack of dawn to find your caches live on TV that morning. It usually doesn't work that way in my neck of the woods. You may also take a look at a message on the 'Unusual' board dealing with the Las Vegas cache that was blown up by nervous police officers and include local authorities in your planning so no one misconstrues your cache for something harmful.

Good luck with your adventure and I hope that my comments can help your portrayal of Geocaching be the best possible! :^)

Hello Dave,

You probably should talk to Jeremy, (Cache God), at contact@geocaching.com, about the do's and don't of this. We are just worker geocachers icon_biggrin.gif and will go along with any ideas and live only to plug new waypoints into our GPS devices.

I might add that we are not "treasure hunters" and respect for personal privacy and the enviroment comes first in planning where a cache will be placed. We practice "cache in trash out" to remove any trash in the area we visit.

I also think it would be best to have local geocachers in areas where you plan to hide caches accompany you or your staff when caches are placed, or hide the caches for you.

But Jeremy is the person you want to talk to, it's his baby! We just work here.

BTW- I think it's a great idea!

Steve

[This message has been edited by Fotogg (edited 23 October 2001).]

Hello Dave,

You probably should talk to Jeremy, (Cache God), at contact@geocaching.com, about the do's and don't of this. We are just worker geocachers icon_biggrin.gif and will go along with any ideas and live only to plug new waypoints into our GPS devices.

I might add that we are not "treasure hunters" and respect for personal privacy and the enviroment comes first in planning where a cache will be placed. We practice "cache in trash out" to remove any trash in the area we visit.

I also think it would be best to have local geocachers in areas where you plan to hide caches accompany you or your staff when caches are placed, or hide the caches for you.

But Jeremy is the person you want to talk to, it's his baby! We just work here.

BTW- I think it's a great idea!

Steve

[This message has been edited by Fotogg (edited 23 October 2001).]

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by FoxDave:

Hello!

I'm a producer at the FOX news station in Cleveland, Ohio.. but don't hold that against me. -Dave

Are you kidding? FoxNews is the ONLY news network I trust. ABC,CBS,NBC and CNN (the Clinton News Netork)lean so far to the left they could eat off the ground without using their hands.

Please maintain your "Fair and Balanced" policy when reporting about Geocaching.

I hope you make a point of the "treasure in trash out" policy of geocachers and show our hunters in a good light.

Please don't lead people to believe that Geocaching is just a "treasure" hunt. The resulting stampede of idiots would really hurt Geocaching.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest skeeter

Note he said a Fox news station, not THE FoxNews station. I know that there is a significant difference between the two, at least here in Dallas.

[This message has been edited by skeeter (edited 01 November 2001).]

[This message has been edited by skeeter (edited 01 November 2001).]