NMEA

Guest jndery

Guest Choberiba

Thirty keystrokes into Google and thirty seconds later I found...

"NMEA was founded in 1957 by a group of electronic dealers who got together at the New York Boat Show to discuss how to strengthen relationships with electronic manufacturers. Little did these dealers realize the impact such an association would have on the marine industry." - www.nmea.org

Now that you know what the initials are, the significance of NMEA to boaters and electronics geeks like me is that NMEA is an electrical wiring standard that allows devices from a variety of vendors to intercommunicate. For example, using NMEA compliant connections, I can connect my depth finder to my GPS and I then can display depth on my GPSMap76, or I can display my position from the GPS on the RADAR screen.

Hope this makes it clearer.

Guest mrgigabyte

NMEA 0183 - A standard data communication protocol used by GPS receivers and other types of navigation and marine electronics. This is the protocol your GPSr and your mapping application use together to generate such things as moving maps and real time locations.

quote:
Originally posted by mrgigabyte:

NMEA 0183 - A standard data communication protocol used by GPS receivers and other types of navigation and marine electronics.

As one wise person once stated: That's the nice things about "standards" there's so many of them icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers, Kerry.

quote:
Originally posted by mrgigabyte:

NMEA 0183 - A standard data communication protocol used by GPS receivers and other types of navigation and marine electronics.

As one wise person once stated: That's the nice things about "standards" there's so many of them icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers, Kerry.

NMEA (some pronounce it NEMA) is a communication standard, blah, blah, blah.

I did check out the GARTrip program just a little tonight (surprised to see your post!)as I am looking for an easy method to map my GPS tracks within MapInfo or another mapping package (interfacing using that same NMEA standard you asked about). Using GARTrip, I can do it (in more steps than I care too). Another program that I have looked at (WayPoint?) will allow me to download from my GPS unit (Garmin GPS 3+) to my PC, but I wanted more. GARTrip is shareware, but it appears the $30 for the full-blown version will give you plenty to play with. I like it, but am still looking for others...

Any ideas?

Guest Cape Cod Cache

They have an annual 'best of' award, good place to check out what model of high-end marine stuff for your boat... I used to check out the reccomendations when I sold marine stuff.

Of course they wimped out on hand-held GPS. Probably got into a major brawl... rolleyes.gif