Suggestion for what NOT to put in a cache

Guest David K

Guest David K

I'm a newbie, but I am concerned about matches, cigarette lighters, and fireworks being put in caches. Where I have been geocaching, kids are the likely accidental finders. Giving them a way to light a fire is not smart in a fire hazzard area. Think of the bad press geocaching would get if a forest fire was started from matches left out in the country for some kids to find! This could give our sport a bad name, and ruin it's future in public areas. What's your opinion?

Guest 300mag

I guess matches in certain areas could mean trouble but food also could.Remember animals have a greater sence of smell.(My lab loves to smell grocerie bags.)They might find your cache and scatter it a bit or destroy log books etc...

Or have a barbecue with it icon_biggrin.gif

I also think it wise not to put matches in

caches.

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 04-04-2001).]

Guest 300mag

I guess matches in certain areas could mean trouble but food also could.Remember animals have a greater sence of smell.(My lab loves to smell grocerie bags.)They might find your cache and scatter it a bit or destroy log books etc...

Or have a barbecue with it icon_biggrin.gif

I also think it wise not to put matches in

caches.

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 04-04-2001).]

Guest Mike_Teague

Well.... Last summer I was up camping, about 20 miles from the nearest store, without dry wood, I remembered that there was one of my geocaches relatively closeby that had a pack of military trioxane firestarter / fuel...

We went to the cache and grabbed the trioxane and ended up with a nice campfire that night...

Geocaches can serve more than just "fun", they can actually be useful!

I think shelf-stable food, water, firestarting items, and various survival gear are ideal for geocaches, personally...

If you're worried about kids starting forest fires, I suggest that perhaps such children shouldn't be let loose in any friggin' forest to start with.. The matches aren't the problem..

Guest IronHelix

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Teague:

If you're worried about kids starting forest fires, I suggest that perhaps such children shouldn't be let loose in any friggin' forest to start with.. The matches aren't the problem.

I agree. I think that (size permitting) bottled water (the real little ones), H2O-proof matches/lighter, maybe a magnesium block and some triox fuel are excellent things for a geocache. However, if your cache will get hot, ditch the lighter (high pressure butane + high heat = high fire).

Guest Markwell

quote:

I think shelf-stable food, water, firestarting items, and various survival gear are ideal for geocaches, personally...

Food will attract animals. Maybe not a good idea.

Guest kbraband

quote:

If you're worried about kids starting forest fires, I suggest that perhaps such children shouldn't be let loose in any friggin' forest to start with.. The matches aren't the problem..

True, for true back country areas, caches can provide helpful items, such as matches. But don't forget that there are many geocaches placed where kids play. I'm just saying, use common sense, depending on where the cache is located.

Guest Mike_Teague

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Im thinking food like MRE's.. If an animal can smell the food in an MRE, thats news to me..

besides what kind of animal would WANT to eat MRE food icon_smile.gif hehehehehe

Guest Mike_Teague

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Im thinking food like MRE's.. If an animal can smell the food in an MRE, thats news to me..

besides what kind of animal would WANT to eat MRE food icon_smile.gif hehehehehe