GeoDashing Team

Guest bunkerdave

Guest bunkerdave

d each location is only logged once. The coords are randomly generated by a computer, (more or less) and it is competetive. Teams can be of up to five people, and the team with the most waypoints logged, wins. Sound like fun? It does to me, and I will be playing in the game that starts tomorrow. I am looking for a few good cachers - not necessarily from my area, to join a team and set the precedent for what I believe is an exciting and challenging complement to my favorite pastime. This is still a new sport, (only 41 registered players) but if you are a little more competitive, as I am, and enjoy Geocaching for the pure thrill of the hunt, this might be for you.

If you are interested in joining my team, e-mail me, or post to this thread. You can see the game-site at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geodashing

Dash #2 begins tomorrow, 8/1/01. I will accept new members whenever, though.

------------------

David Wallentine

dwallent34@yahoo.com

Guest zoedog

Sounds interisting but the map needs some work. The way points on the map are not clickable and you have to go to a list of way points that give you no idea where they are untill you click on of the maps. Even then I click on one and I am in Mish. the one under it and I am in Kentucy, then the one under it the Gulf of Mexico. Sounds like fun but I just dont want to have to search a list of hundreds of way points to find just a few nearist me. Or is it that I am some how not using the thing rigtht? I did not find a search or even a list by states.

ZoeDog

Guest bunkerdave

I agree, the GUI needs some work, but that is part of the fun. I have already taken the coords for my area, plugged them into my TOP USA 3.0 and decided which ones would be the best ones to start with. Unfortunately, a new game starts tomorrow, so I will have to get those waypoints.

To find "a waypoint near you" just look at the coords for caches in you area, and scan the Geodashing list for Lats/Lons that come kind of close. i.e., my coords are roughly 40N 111W, so anything from 38 to 42 N and 109 to 114 W is going to be fairly reachable.

Make sense?

Guest zoedog

I got a e-mail from GC Scout explaining how to look up the way points. I still think this sounds interesting and plan on looking up the new waypoints tomarrow to see what is close to me and even down south by my parents place. Depending on where they are I should be able to get a few and use my digital camera to take the pics to post.

Zoedog

Guest bunkerdave

ZoeDog:

So are you interested in bing on my team? Could use someone in Ohio. Are you in Columbus or a Suburb? I spent time in Newark, Athens, Lancaster, Gahanna, and Circleville when I was an LDS missionary 10 years ago out there. Any of those particularly familiar to you?

------------------

David Wallentine

dwallent34@yahoo.com

Guest bunkerdave

Actually, you have to get to .057 miles - roughly 100 meters. icon_biggrin.gif You're on. Game starts at 6 am tomorrow (8/1/01)

I need to have e-mail addresses for everyone on the team. Be sure you log at least one waypoint in this game or we may have to play our own little version of "the weakest link" icon_biggrin.gif If you don't I will expect a good reason why not. "It's too far" is not a good reason. I am the Team boss, so I can do whatever I want with impunity, but I intend on logging more than any of you slackers. Everyone already knows I have more cache finds than you amateurs. So let's get with it. There are no bonus points for difficulty on these, so if there are any easy ones near you, go get them. There is no reason we shouldn't have 10 or more as a team by the end of this game. Judging by the dismal showing in the first Dash, those other clowns still haven't figured out what the GOTO button is for.

If ZoeDog is on the team, we still have room for one more. Could use some experience here - anyone, anyone?

[This message has been edited by bunkerdave (edited 31 July 2001).]

Guest bunkerdave

Actually, you have to get to .057 miles - roughly 100 meters. icon_biggrin.gif You're on. Game starts at 6 am tomorrow (8/1/01)

I need to have e-mail addresses for everyone on the team. Be sure you log at least one waypoint in this game or we may have to play our own little version of "the weakest link" icon_biggrin.gif If you don't I will expect a good reason why not. "It's too far" is not a good reason. I am the Team boss, so I can do whatever I want with impunity, but I intend on logging more than any of you slackers. Everyone already knows I have more cache finds than you amateurs. So let's get with it. There are no bonus points for difficulty on these, so if there are any easy ones near you, go get them. There is no reason we shouldn't have 10 or more as a team by the end of this game. Judging by the dismal showing in the first Dash, those other clowns still haven't figured out what the GOTO button is for.

If ZoeDog is on the team, we still have room for one more. Could use some experience here - anyone, anyone?

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

Man oh man, the power has already gone to your head! lol Hey bud send out an email to the group so we all have everyone's addy k?

The GOTO button- uh is that the one on the right or the left?? tongue.gif

6am Pacific time- be there- first one in the group to get one gets bragging rights cool.gif

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

Man oh man, the power has already gone to your head! lol Hey bud send out an email to the group so we all have everyone's addy k?

The GOTO button- uh is that the one on the right or the left?? tongue.gif

6am Pacific time- be there- first one in the group to get one gets bragging rights cool.gif

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest zoedog

Yeah I am up for it. I live in the north part of Columbus. My parents live in Chillicothe,(I just placed a cache there last week) and I went to school in Athens (Ohio University) so I do go there at times. I have most of the Columbus down covered. If it is not to far I am willing to go north as well icon_smile.gif

zoedog

Guest zoedog

Yeah I am up for it. I live in the north part of Columbus. My parents live in Chillicothe,(I just placed a cache there last week) and I went to school in Athens (Ohio University) so I do go there at times. I have most of the Columbus down covered. If it is not to far I am willing to go north as well icon_smile.gif

zoedog

Guest bunkerdave

Well, I found my first Dashpoint, and it was a doozy. Thought I would be able to drive to it, but it turns out the land between the highway and the Dashpoint was private, or at least the gate was locked. There were no signs tellin gme to stay out or "No Trespassing," so I figured I would be okay to walk through.

Off I hiked. Over the river and through the woods, no fences, no signs, just that stupid locked gate across the road. Seems if you buy one of their cabin lots they let you have a key to the gate. Anyway, I ended up hiking about 2.3 miles one-way, and found my spot. I had planned on leaving a cache, but figured no one would come anyway, and I still wasn't quite sure I was on public land. It was a very different feeling than I have had on all my Geocache hunts. I am always concerned about all the other people who have been there before me, and trying to be sure to not do anything to make Caching look bad, or "is the cache site secure" or "is there getting to be a trail" and what to trade and how is the cache doing. Just following my GPS and heading where I needed to go. There was no log to sign, just me, my GPS, and the mountain.

Geocaching is a great game, and it has the added pleasure of the cache find. I hope we will be placing and hunting caches for a long time to come. Dashing is not for kids, nor is it for anyone who has anything less than the utmost confidence in their abilities as a hiker and GPS navigator. For this reason, it will never come close to the popularity of Caching. If you are seeking a hard core GPS hunting experience, this is for you. Get your team together and see if you can touch the Trailblazers. I am betting you can't.

Guest navdog

This sounds like a lot of fun BD. It's great that you actually had to walk that far. All that time immersed in the art of navigation and enjoying the surroundings with the anticipation of not knowing just where the spot is or if anyone has ever been there. I am watching this months game and considering contributing to a team next month.

[This message has been edited by navdog (edited 03 August 2001).]

Guest bunkerdave

I had a ball, if you can't tell. Actually, you can jump in anytime. Getting a team is easy. The hard part is mapping out your route to the waypoint(s) and then getting there. Getting there is actually not so hard if you do your homework before you take off. It's different than Caching in that when you take off to find the spot, you really aren't quite sure if you will be able to get there or not. All kinds of obstacles can be thrown at you, and you just have to cope or go home defeated. I could have said "well, locked gate" and gone home or to another dashpoint, but we all know that isn't me. If you are going to stop me, there had better be a sign, an armed guard, or razor wire. More like all 3. Anyway, I look forward to competing against you.

Guest T-storm

Hmmm... Thought I'd look at this thread because some have proposed it as an alternative to actual caches given the flack we receive on some fronts for littering, etc. What I have seen that I find rather appalling is that there is at least one player who blatantly ignores the guidelines/disclaimers posted on the GeoDashing board site and states that you'll need more than a fence and a locked gate to keep him off of your property, you'll need an armed guard or some serious razorwire. BunkerDave, are these attitudes actually being translated into actions? Even if not, I cannot see how they would make GPS based hunts more palatable to anyone-- certainly to anyone in law enforcement or other official position. It leads me to wonder which other guidelines are thought to be disposable and how many others think that way. I'd have to say that I'd sure hate to see such disrespectful folks popping up on my property. Is there something I'm missing?

T-storm

Guest bunkerdave

T-storm: mad.gif

If you had been in this forum for longer than a day, and had read ANY of the 300 posts I have posted to this forum, or had talked to ANY of the people who know me or have had contact with me, or had a single clue what the HELL you are talking about, you would know that I ALWAYS observe the etiquette and guidelines of Geocaching. My comments are, as anyone with a clue about me and my methods can attest, intended merely as "puffery" to imply that I will stop at almost nothing to reach my chosen destination, and certainly the fact that I would be breaking the law to approach some destinations, would be sufficient to stop me from proceeding. In this case, there were no signs stating that I could not proceed, the gate was there to stop non-residents from DRIVING through the area, stirring up dust and increasing the burden on the dirt roads. I believe I was within the law and the geocaching guidelines to proceed as I did.

Next time, get some facts before you shoot off your mouth. The facts are in the 300+ posts I have made in this forum, so your failure to at least LOOK is inexcusable.

Guest jeremy

Ok folks. Deep breaths. My wife actually bans me from the forums sometimes if things get particularly testy. I believe she may start banning others as well. So straighten up! icon_smile.gif

And yes, I believe there's a little creative license in bunkerdave's comments. I certainly do appreciate your concern, however, and it's always good to hear. It reinforces the fact that we should all be responsible.

Someone mentioned I was at 666 posts, so I had to post a few more so I didn't look too evil.

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 04 August 2001).]

Guest jeremy

Ok folks. Deep breaths. My wife actually bans me from the forums sometimes if things get particularly testy. I believe she may start banning others as well. So straighten up! icon_smile.gif

And yes, I believe there's a little creative license in bunkerdave's comments. I certainly do appreciate your concern, however, and it's always good to hear. It reinforces the fact that we should all be responsible.

Someone mentioned I was at 666 posts, so I had to post a few more so I didn't look too evil.

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 04 August 2001).]

Guest T-storm

BunkerDave--

1) Chill, get over it. tongue.gif

2) Take your own advice, and know someone before you make assumptions. You don't know me either. Read plenty of your posts, some I liked and some I didn't. In fact, it was repeated postings from you that made me look a little further at GeoDashing (I mean this in a positive way). Why would I skulk about behind your back asking folks what they think of you when I can (and did) bring my concerns about your comments openly to you for response in the same open forum in which you made them?

3) I said "GeoDashing" guidelines, referring refer to the statement that they make about getting private landowner permission before proceeding. You did state that you didn't know if you were on public property, but you made no statement that you attempted to gain that permission. In re-reading your first note I do see that you said "no fences", but based on all the other comments, I'm still left with the impression that you were not sure you were welcome there. I would think that could be a very important issue to the success of GeoDashing since it's not like the GeoCaching situation where a cache on private property can be posted with advance permission of the property owner.

4) It's an electronic forum that reaches across the world. Don't expect perfect understanding of your character based on reading posts you place here, especially when indulging in "puffery."

T-storm

Guest bunkerdave

Okay, I see your point.

I have to confess, that part of my angst is precipitated by s couple of experiences I had today. Was out yesterday and today with a buddy, hunting/placing caches/dashes, and we went after one of his which he placed a couple weeks ago. It was gone. We have a suspicion where it went, but that is all I can say at this point. We went to another, which I had already logged, but which he had not, and since it has since been moved, I was considering it a new find. It, too, was gone. The nature of our suspicion is such that if it is correct, it poses a serious problem for caching in our state, and this has me pretty worked up. Then I arrive home and find a post in which (I felt) I was being accused of hurting the sport. I guess I lost it.

"seek first to understand..."

Thanks for clearing the air. Welcome to the forums.

bd

Guest T-storm

Sorry to hear of your experiences on yesterday's hunt. Sounds like an uglier version of my first day hunting caches. Located the remains of some of the contents of the cache sought. Combined with a failure to find the first cache of the day at all, I began to wonder if this is *NOT* the activity for me afterall... But at least there was a find on the third cache! Given what I've read of the disappearances in your region, I can imagine how steamed you and your partner must have been... not a good sign to see the problem spreading. Good luck in stopping the bleeding. Don't let the losers spoil your fun... that kind would probably love to see you stroke out over their activities.

T-storm