Under water cache

Guest taybri

Has anyone discussed or planted an underwater cache? I was contemplating making one with an anchor and a float. I imagined tying a plastic pvc canister between the two and dropping in 10-15 feet of water in a local lake. The determined hunter could dive or drag the bottom with a hook. Any thoughts on the practicality of such an idea?

I've heard that nothing is water tight, so if you used waterproof paper and pen, and items that would do well underwater, go for it! I'd certainly dive in and grab a cache if there was one hidden.

I believe someone may have hidden a cache in New York, but not sure if it's actually under water. It may just be underwater when the tide is out.

J

Guest Lasivian

quote:
I was contemplating making one with an anchor and a float. I imagined tying a plastic pvc canister between the two and dropping in 10-15 feet of water in a local lake. The determined hunter could dive or drag the bottom with a hook. Any thoughts on the practicality of such an idea?[/b]

Well, you have to figure who else might snag it? a fisherman could get tangled up in it and pull it 15 feet away before his line breaks, maybe farther..

I think anything placed in water would probably be the terrain of scuba-diving Geocachers alone, or hidden in shallow clear water, since any rope or chain connecting to an underwater cache is nearly impossible to hide

on that note, anyone have some scuba gear for sale? heh

(ack! typo demons!)

------------------

Lasivian@usa.net - ICQ 3619356 - www.fastq.com/~lasivian

[This message has been edited by Lasivian (edited 02-08-2001).]

Guest MountainLion

Ok, you can tell that I've spent too much time reading the forums when.....

If you head to the southwest forum, and set your topic list to show discussions from the last 100 days, instead of the standard 10, you can find an old topic listed as MORE, MORE, MORE. The guy who started that discussion also talks about underwater caches, and got some responses about it.

Guest crescendo

I am a subscriber to a free newsletter and this weeks edition describes a treasure hunt that makes references to geocaching and tips on underwater placement. It sort of goes beyond the scope of geocaching and focuses on how to lead someone on a path from one location to another and eventually reaching a final destination. I will post the link below; it is interesting and worth a look.

uniqueprojects

Guest mfratto

We have a multi-cache hidden and one leg is in the water. We used an Otter-Box that we picked up from EMS and it seems to be working well. It is in only 2 feet of water, tho, the folks at otterbox claim watertight to 100 feet.

Of course, everything is in ziplocks as well.

Guest tslack2000

quote:
Originally posted by taybri:

Has anyone discussed or planted an underwater cache?

Someone hid an underwater cache in our area just a few days ago and it was a blast! They did what you had originally thought of. They measured out a peice of rope and tied one end to an anchor and the other to a water bottle. Due to the buoyancy of the water bottle, it floated about 6 feet under the water. BunkerDave, Cach-U-Nuts and I went out well prepared for it, even going so far as to bring SCUBA gear. The body of water that the cache was hidden in was a crater of sorts that was filled with water. One of the hardest parts about this cache was making sure you could get out of the crater. The walls surrounding it went straight up on all sides about 5-6 feet. It was a great cache called Adventure Cache #1 Now on to the next Adventure Cache!

Guest Havasu Desert Rat

ly planning on it being 10-15 feet deep. I will be placing it freediving and any snorkeler worth his/her salt should be able to retrieve it. Scuba gear won't be absolutely necessary.

------------------

Larry Sallee

aka The Havasu Desert Rat

Guest tslack2000

quote:
Originally posted by Havasu Desert Rat:

I am planning on doing an undewater cache...

I wish you lived in Utah! These underwater caches give me a great excuse to rent SCUBA gear! Next time I'm in Arizona I'll check this one out! It sounds awesome!

Guest Havasu Desert Rat

Well, forget the Igloo thermos idea. I put it out overnight in 20 feet of water and it filled up. Went out and spent $30 for some 4" PVC and fittings. With a cap glued on one end and a screw-in plug in the other, it should work. Some pipe joint compound on the plug threads should assure that it's waterproof. The stuff is rated for 10,000 PSI on liquids.

[This message has been edited by Havasu Desert Rat (edited 25 July 2001).]

Guest Havasu Desert Rat

Well, forget the screw in lid also. Guess I'll use that for a dryland cache. However, 3rd time's a charm. Finally found one that works.

A foot of 4" schedule 40 PVC (<#2.00) capped on one end. You can either buy the heavy, slide over the end type that goes for around $8.00 or get the little knock out test cap that costs about .50 cents. Glue either one to one end. For the other end, use a compression type test plug. [About $4.00) Replace the stock carriage bolt and wingnut with stainless steel versions. A -little- joint compound on the threads should keep things working smoothly.

I also made an acrylic 'wrench' to be attached with a cord for loosening and tightening the wing nut. I used a large hose clamp around the body of the container to attach a loop of climbing rope for a handle/tie down. Overnight in 20' of water and not a drop. Finally.