Have you seeked a cache in other countries?

Guest Peter Scholtz

Guest Peter Scholtz

One of the caches in South Africa has this cache log entry:

"This was the only one I could find in South Africa."

I'm wondering if it was perhaps a tourist, though more than likely just a passing comment. (It was the only cache in South Africa at that time).

Have you seeked a cache in other countries while on holiday or business?

Would be interesting if Jeremy added an option when logging a cache to indicate how far you travelled to get there or that it isn't your home state/country?!

I'm planning on seeking the only cache in Botswana, South Africa's neighbour. Though for Americans it'll probably seem like a state or two away ...

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest scott

Yes, we went after a cache while on vacation in Australia. One of the better moments of the trip IMHO. The GPS says its a 15,600 mile round trip from my home to the cache.

-scott

Guest lorinda

We are going to Hungary next month on vacation and I was planning to do a little geocaching while there. Unfortunately there aren't any so our latest plan is to actually hide a cache there, even though we can't babysit it. We'd like to make it a "tourist" cache, encouraging people to leave a token of their home country in there.

Guest Moun10Bike

One of my most memorable hunts was for "London's First Cache." Being from the States and not having been to England in some 15 years, it was a lot of fun for me. It also involved extra research, as I had to look into the best subway for getting to the location, etc. I can't wait to get back some day and have a chance to meet up with some of the guys over there like Monz and Moss Trooper and hunt for their caches!

Looks like I need to get to South Africa, too, what with all of the caches popping up there! icon_smile.gif

Guest Moun10Bike

One of my most memorable hunts was for "London's First Cache." Being from the States and not having been to England in some 15 years, it was a lot of fun for me. It also involved extra research, as I had to look into the best subway for getting to the location, etc. I can't wait to get back some day and have a chance to meet up with some of the guys over there like Monz and Moss Trooper and hunt for their caches!

Looks like I need to get to South Africa, too, what with all of the caches popping up there! icon_smile.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

I travel to South America quite a bit. I placed the first ... and so far only stash in Bolivia. So far only one person found it and I was contacted by a lady from a Bolivian TV station that is doing a report on geocaching. Oh, the guy that found it was originally from Bolivia ... but now lives in USA. He was on a visit back home when he went in search. I had heard of one in Chile, but I couldn't find a reference to it so I haven't had a chance to look for one ... there are some in Brazil, but not in the area I frequent.

Guest Julie

I got my new GPS (eTrex Vista) recently before I went to Australia on holiday. Of course I tested it before leaving and entered my Home as a waypoint.

However, when I first turned on in Aus. I couldn't find any satellites! I thought it was broken or something until I realized that it was still calibrated for my home town. icon_redface.gif

After setting my new location, it worked like a charm. I visited the 'Aero Vale' cache (for those of you keeping score). It was pretty cool to be able to practice my favourite sport so far away from home.

Keep on Kaching!

=== Julie

Guest Julie

I got my new GPS (eTrex Vista) recently before I went to Australia on holiday. Of course I tested it before leaving and entered my Home as a waypoint.

However, when I first turned on in Aus. I couldn't find any satellites! I thought it was broken or something until I realized that it was still calibrated for my home town. icon_redface.gif

After setting my new location, it worked like a charm. I visited the 'Aero Vale' cache (for those of you keeping score). It was pretty cool to be able to practice my favourite sport so far away from home.

Keep on Kaching!

=== Julie

Guest scott

quote:
Originally posted by GeoMonkeys:

which cache did you visit Scott? just wondering if we've been to it yet or not.

We went to Devil Bend, near Melbourne, er Melbin. icon_wink.gif Had a great time, wish we could have done more.

-scott

Guest scott

quote:
Originally posted by GeoMonkeys:

which cache did you visit Scott? just wondering if we've been to it yet or not.

We went to Devil Bend, near Melbourne, er Melbin. icon_wink.gif Had a great time, wish we could have done more.

-scott