What's your best cache day? found/attempted

Guest rusty

Yesterday after about 2 weeks of planning my wife and I headed to suburban Detroit area for "BlitzCache". We had printouts and maps to 18 different caches that were chosen for their density in one area, none were left off for difficulty. Spent the night in a hotel and got up early to get started.

We were more successful than I thought we could be, our final stats for the day were 19 found out of 20 attempts and I think the one may be missing. Our first find was at 9AM "Our Woodland Heritage" and the last find was 8PM "Survival of the fittest" which was very aptly named. Search time ranged from about 30 seconds for one up to about an hour and a half for the toughest.

It helped having a lot of map printouts but being unfamiliar with the area we wasted a lot of time looking for parking and trailheads. Still it was a lot of fun to plan and I would like to try it again sometime. Our previous best day was 6 and took much longer due to drive time.

I think there was a thread on this subject before but I can't find it and I'm curious if anyone has found over 20 in a single day?

What's your best day?

Rusty...

------------------

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

[This message has been edited by rusty (edited 03 September 2001).]

Guest Markwell

I'll respond in two ways:

Most caches hit - 8 for 8 on a caching frenzy that started at 5:45 a.m. and lasted until 4:15 p.m. Started at [/url=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3674]Semper Fi[/url] on August 11.

As for quality, no contender to the now defunct ( icon_frown.gif) Cumberland Trail Cache. Best scenery, best hike - although the cache itself wasn't in great condition, the area was just plain GORGEOUS!

Best caching day from caches that are still active? It would have been the day we hit the Beverly cache near the north side of Chicago. While it is one of the earliest cache, the park is pristine and gorgeous, with plenty of wildlife. We even saw professional photographers out taking postcard shots of the scenery. Cache is hidden in a very surprising change of terrain that cannot be seen from the trail.

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 02 September 2001).]

Guest Markwell

I'll respond in two ways:

Most caches hit - 8 for 8 on a caching frenzy that started at 5:45 a.m. and lasted until 4:15 p.m. Started at [/url=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3674]Semper Fi[/url] on August 11.

As for quality, no contender to the now defunct ( icon_frown.gif) Cumberland Trail Cache. Best scenery, best hike - although the cache itself wasn't in great condition, the area was just plain GORGEOUS!

Best caching day from caches that are still active? It would have been the day we hit the Beverly cache near the north side of Chicago. While it is one of the earliest cache, the park is pristine and gorgeous, with plenty of wildlife. We even saw professional photographers out taking postcard shots of the scenery. Cache is hidden in a very surprising change of terrain that cannot be seen from the trail.

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 02 September 2001).]

On 8/24/01 we took the day off and started a frenzy in northern Illinois we had planned for a couple of weeks. Hit first cache at 9AM and last at 7:30PM in driving rain. Found 11 out of 11, had hoped for two more, but the areas they were in had closed for the day by the time we got there. The map of our frenzy is HERE.

Rather an interesting coincidence, Mrs. Arffer, desiring to better our 11 cache frenzy, started looking for a better area. She came to me later that same day all excited and wanting to go up to the Detroit area as there were so many there. Guess great minds think alike rolleyes.gif

Guest tecmage

Hey,

Our best geocaching day was Sunday (9/2). We headed to Kansas City, MO, and went 4 of 4 on the way down Saturday (9/1), then started the frenzy the next day. Found the first at 11am, and finished at 6:30pm with 17 of 17 found. We thought we could go 12 for 12, stopped at a local library after 11, and spent and hour searching for more caches to find. We still figured we would miss a couple, but didn't miss a one! icon_biggrin.gif

Richard and Tracy

Guest tecmage

Hey,

Our best geocaching day was Sunday (9/2). We headed to Kansas City, MO, and went 4 of 4 on the way down Saturday (9/1), then started the frenzy the next day. Found the first at 11am, and finished at 6:30pm with 17 of 17 found. We thought we could go 12 for 12, stopped at a local library after 11, and spent and hour searching for more caches to find. We still figured we would miss a couple, but didn't miss a one! icon_biggrin.gif

Richard and Tracy

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

Rather an interesting coincidence, Mrs. Arffer, desiring to better our 11 cache frenzy, started looking for a better area. She came to me later that same day all excited and wanting to go up to the Detroit area as there were so many there. Guess great minds think alike rolleyes.gif

Now that I have been there I really think it would be possible to get 30 in one day over there, especially if you knew the roads and where all the trailheads were. We wasted a lot of time driving.

Rusty...

------------------

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Guest ClayJar

I've done many multiple-cache days, but the most memorable geocaching day was today. I drove three hours to the one cache that I had searched for but not found (only one other person had searched for it, and they also did not find it). Anyway, I found it this time. The neatest thing about that is that next Monday the cache will be six months old (it was the second cache placed in Louisiana).

Pearl (GC449) has been found!

I went 7 for 8 on a Sat/Sun cache hunt in Mississippi. I was hoping to try for 9 or 10, but I got a late start on Saturday (or rather, a late ending Friday night icon_wink.gif)

In all I guess I drove over 400 miles, using the GPS the entire way. I used Mapsource to generate routes from cache to cache which I then uploaded to the GPS. Only once did I have to use a paper map when I encountered a closed road (washed out bridge).

I went 7 for 8 on a Sat/Sun cache hunt in Mississippi. I was hoping to try for 9 or 10, but I got a late start on Saturday (or rather, a late ending Friday night icon_wink.gif)

In all I guess I drove over 400 miles, using the GPS the entire way. I used Mapsource to generate routes from cache to cache which I then uploaded to the GPS. Only once did I have to use a paper map when I encountered a closed road (washed out bridge).