We Interrupt This Geocaching for Life???

Guest faithwalker

Guest faithwalker

HOW BAD HAVE YOU GOT IT?

Tell us just how much you like doing this.

I eat, drink and sleep this stuff. Had a tooth pulled yesterday and was out in the field an hour after. New cache in the area, just can't relax untill we go out and log in. How do I make a living at this stuff? OOPS, new one listed, got to go.

...Cache Responsible and may all your birds be in view... ...Faithwalker & DaMama...

------------------

[This message has been edited by faithwalker (edited 26 August 2001).]

Guest bdixson

My 10 year old daughter and I found our first geocache today. We trudged through the woods until we found it. What a feeling, we are totally hook, can't wait till next week end.

Guest bunkerdave

Well, after 115 finds in 3 months, I have been able to curb it somewhat. I still can't drive near one without going after it, but the "GOTTA CACHE" seems to have loosened its grip. I also have a 10 month old baby girl who has gotten extremely fun lately, and can be hard to put down.

One of the great things about his hobby is the variety of levels you can participate on. I enjoy organizing gatherings, planting complicated multi-caches, I even enjoy working to shape public policy, as I have found myself doing this week. The confluence project and the GeoDashing are other things which have my interest, so while I am not logging caches every day, I am still very much into it. Need some counseling, maybe. icon_redface.gif

Guest bunkerdave

Well, after 115 finds in 3 months, I have been able to curb it somewhat. I still can't drive near one without going after it, but the "GOTTA CACHE" seems to have loosened its grip. I also have a 10 month old baby girl who has gotten extremely fun lately, and can be hard to put down.

One of the great things about his hobby is the variety of levels you can participate on. I enjoy organizing gatherings, planting complicated multi-caches, I even enjoy working to shape public policy, as I have found myself doing this week. The confluence project and the GeoDashing are other things which have my interest, so while I am not logging caches every day, I am still very much into it. Need some counseling, maybe. icon_redface.gif

Guest arffer

Actually, this is Mrs. arffer and I'm worried about Mr. arffer. This weekend we placed our third cache. After 24 hours it hadn't been approved yet, the others we had placed had been approved in less than 15 minutes. My husband started getting 'antsy' - He was relived to see no other caches had been approved in that time period so it wasn't just us.

I told him if people really wanted to find out what ones were available but not approved, they could type in sequential ID numbers in the URL starting from the last one approved. (I shouldn't have given him that idea!!!) He found out we were #19 in line to be approved and there were 98 behind us.

We work in the same office and he is above my boss on the ladder. We have a in house messaging system on our network and he kept sending me this type of information all morning, letting me know the status like: "looks like approvals have just started up. 2 new ones are listed." and a count down of the number till they got to ours.

To fill in the time as he was watching this 'exciting' countdown, he started looking at the others that hadn't been approved yet. Low and behold, there is one about 15 minutes from our office that should be 'a quickie'. So, we are doing 'a quickie' at lunch.

I'm addicted to the sport, but I'm worried he may need therapy!!!!!

Guest arffer

7 --- 6 --- 5 --- 4 --- 3 --- 2 --- 1 --- APPROVED! Yes.

Okay, hit refresh, DARN! No one found it yet.

Okay, get a drink, hit refresh, WHAT'S WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE! No hits yet. Lunch time yet? Gotta hit that new cache before its approved!

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by bdixson:

... What a feeling, we are totally hook, can't wait till next week end.

eek.gif WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!?!? You're suppose to wait for the weekend??????

Guest arffer

YES! Got that new cache, and its not even on the list yet. Love being first to log a cache! Now, what cache to hit after work... If it weren't for the cost of batteries, I'd retire now to make more room for cache-time.

And really, I can quit anytime I want to...

Guest bdixson

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

You forgot the cardinal rule of telling bosses about geocaching: Only tell your boss about geocaching if you have a spare GPS receiver to loan said boss. tongue.gif

Now you tell me! rolleyes.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:

.... My Boss is a cruel, cruel man. icon_frown.gif

(In my best Marlo Brando ...aka .. Godfather accent) This man ... I think I need to have a discussion with him ... make him an offer ... he can't refuse .... cool.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:

.... My Boss is a cruel, cruel man. icon_frown.gif

(In my best Marlo Brando ...aka .. Godfather accent) This man ... I think I need to have a discussion with him ... make him an offer ... he can't refuse .... cool.gif

Guest PneumaticDeath

quote:
Originally posted by Cisupete:

"Hello, my name is Cisu, and I am a GEOCACHER".

In this case my higher power is WAAS satellite #47. I'm trusting to it for guidance. icon_biggrin.gif

-- Mitch

[This message has been edited by PneumaticDeath (edited 16 August 2001).]

Guest PneumaticDeath

quote:
Originally posted by Cisupete:

"Hello, my name is Cisu, and I am a GEOCACHER".

In this case my higher power is WAAS satellite #47. I'm trusting to it for guidance. icon_biggrin.gif

-- Mitch

[This message has been edited by PneumaticDeath (edited 16 August 2001).]

Guest faithwalker

I guess there aren't as many out there who have it as bad as I do.

------------------

...Cache Responsible and may all your birds be in view... ...Faithwalker & DaMama...

Guest faithwalker

till mount my GPS just to be sure. Than you could show the wife your track after she gets back from shopping and she will feel sorry for you for doing all that work and take you out to that cache that you wanted to hit but just didn't dare to tell her it was 500 miles away.

------------------

quote:
Originally posted by faithwalker:

OK on the Robomower but I think I'd still mount my GPS just to be sure. Than you could show the wife your track after she gets back from shopping and she will feel sorry for you for doing all that work and take you out to that cache that you wanted to hit but just didn't dare to tell her it was 500 miles away.

Yeah, and after it's all over, you'd be sleeping with the Robomower on the couch for a week!

Guest faithwalker

DaMama went out of town on business on Labor day weekend [ icon_frown.gif]. What a CACHEFEST I had then [8D].

------------------

[This message has been edited by faithwalker (edited 03 September 2001).]

Guest faithwalker

DaMama went out of town on business on Labor day weekend [ icon_frown.gif]. What a CACHEFEST I had then [8D].

------------------

Guest faithwalker

Now that we have been interupted by real life, are we back up to speed yet? I know I'm not yet. But I want to be...

------------------

Guest madphatboy2

I started this sport a short while ago thanks to my brother-in-law. After a 1 1/2 years I finally learned how to truly use my GPS. Now that I know how, i'm addicted like everyone else. I did 17 caches in 3 days while balancing 2 jobs. caffeine=good. . . sleep=bad! My wife is now as addicted as i was. She started crying when i said "NO" i need one nights sleep. I caved and took her anyway.

Guest JeepCache

I love geocaching, and I suspect I'll never stop - but I'm not really that obsessed. The moderation thing has been working out for me. I have about 8 caches in approximately 3 months.

Guest Chris Juricich

I've come to a measure of perspective on the hobby-- it was pretty consuming for me at first-- but now that I've got myself all outfitted and set up-- well, it's definitely a part of my life, but not consuming as it was a couple of months ago.

Still big fun, though, but I also like to draw comics, travel, do puzzles, and be with my family, go to movies, and work! (well, I don't mind work, but sometimes my caching was getting in the way of my job, and as a travelling salesman no one's on my *** telling me where and when to be anywhere!)

Hee hee!

Hey, sales have been up anyway!

My latest log from Mitchells Stop.

Well where do I start. I did this one on a trip back to Ballarat. I arrived at the area and the GPS took me straight to the location. Bec and I spent quite some time searching for this one but had no luck. It was around 6:30-7pm when we got there and I decided I should try and contact the owner because it was starting to get dark. Back to the car I go to get my mobile phone to connect to my Palm pilot to chat (ICQ) to the owner who usually is on line at that time of day. I finally got connected with little mobile service and a flattening battery. He was online so I got his phone number and chatted to him. I wasn't in the right spot was the conclusion. Something must be wrong. His coords where not the same as the ones on the website. His where even worse. So with a little guidance over the phone I was directed to the location. At 10pm I gave up. No luck and it was pitch black. Bec was in the car by herself so I thought I'd better give up. I spoke to wanderers the next day and we decided to go and check it out. We found it and the coords were 200 meters off, but within about 5 meters from where I had been searching in the dark. I did write in the log book, but took nothing and left nothing.

Needless to say they are now correct. Have fun going after this one. I did. Spend some time there and enjoy the surroundings.

Thanks guys for a challenge. I had a great time trying to find it.

Mark and Bec.

After 3.5 hrs in the dark, is it an obsession or do I need therapy! icon_smile.gif

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!

My latest log from Mitchells Stop.

Well where do I start. I did this one on a trip back to Ballarat. I arrived at the area and the GPS took me straight to the location. Bec and I spent quite some time searching for this one but had no luck. It was around 6:30-7pm when we got there and I decided I should try and contact the owner because it was starting to get dark. Back to the car I go to get my mobile phone to connect to my Palm pilot to chat (ICQ) to the owner who usually is on line at that time of day. I finally got connected with little mobile service and a flattening battery. He was online so I got his phone number and chatted to him. I wasn't in the right spot was the conclusion. Something must be wrong. His coords where not the same as the ones on the website. His where even worse. So with a little guidance over the phone I was directed to the location. At 10pm I gave up. No luck and it was pitch black. Bec was in the car by herself so I thought I'd better give up. I spoke to wanderers the next day and we decided to go and check it out. We found it and the coords were 200 meters off, but within about 5 meters from where I had been searching in the dark. I did write in the log book, but took nothing and left nothing.

Needless to say they are now correct. Have fun going after this one. I did. Spend some time there and enjoy the surroundings.

Thanks guys for a challenge. I had a great time trying to find it.

Mark and Bec.

After 3.5 hrs in the dark, is it an obsession or do I need therapy! icon_smile.gif

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!

Guest EliJoMikMiNi

11 weeks and one hide, the third one,Johnnie's Cache, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3413, we ended up spending the night. I LOVE Geocaching. Sometimes when it gets difficult climbing,I ask myself,"why am I doing this?" but AS SOON as I get back to the car I am ready to go again. My kids just look at me when I am sitting at the computer planning my searches and shake their heads. Even ManInTheWild, who introduced me to cachehunting, calls me that crazy lady, because I bug him to go with me ALL the time!! Am I obsessed/posessed by it? Nah! It's just fun! Right! Right? You all agree right?!? Hello!

"The harder you work,the harder it is to surrender." Vince Lombardi

[This message has been edited by EliJoMikMiNi (edited 21 November 2001).]

Talk about needing a life, I took my GPS3+ on a romantic Bahamas cruise & spent way to much time (my girlfriend's words, not mine) plotting our course. Even plotted points of the ship while in port and drew a topo map of the ship itself!

CRUSSO

------------------

Guest web-ling

quote:

I made the mistake of telling mt Boss about Geocaching and he's threatened to chain me to my desk if I try slipping out to go Geocaching during work hours, so I'm stuck with the weekends. My Boss is a cruel, cruel man. icon_frown.gif

That's why I work swing shift. Got most of the day to geocache (who needs sleep?)

Web-ling

Guest web-ling

quote:

I made the mistake of telling mt Boss about Geocaching and he's threatened to chain me to my desk if I try slipping out to go Geocaching during work hours, so I'm stuck with the weekends. My Boss is a cruel, cruel man. icon_frown.gif

That's why I work swing shift. Got most of the day to geocache (who needs sleep?)

Web-ling

Guest ManInTheWild

quote:
Even ManInTheWild, who introduced me to cachehunting, calls me that crazy lady, because I bug him to go with me ALL the time!!

All in fun, Eli! I just wish I had a better chance to go out Geocaching myself! I have a family that hasn't realized how crazy we are yet. Unfortunately that means I gotta wait for days (like Turkey Day) when the kids are out of school, and I'm off work to go caching. Hmm... I wonder if we could sneak away from family long enough to take a little trip to Charleston??? (Considering Queenfish is making the dinner and wouldn't want us going without her, that might prove difficult.) tongue.gif

Guest Ladybuggers

We are a husband and wife team. We both are very enthusiastic about or caching. Sunday is our weekly caching day (after church, that is). There are always new ones popping up that are within 40 miles. If there is a close one that pops up during the week and we can sneak it in, we may run out during the week. Since daylight savings time here in Cincinnati, it is dark before 6:00 pm. It's hard to get much done after work. That hasn't stopped us though. We have done our share of night caches. We have been at it since Memorial Day and have the caching fever just as bad now as we did then.

Guest pshlortz

am i wierd

Well; geocachign cannot be my life; because there are limited numbers of caches at my home near annapolis, MD, nor my college, Lewiusburg, PA.

Regardless, I've hit up about one cache a week for a month or 2; usually with my roomate. It's a good clean hobby; and an excuse to leave the house :-)

Guest Morseman
Originally posted by arffer:

To fill in the time as he was watching this 'exciting' countdown, he started looking at the others that hadn't been approved yet. Low and behold, there is one about 15 minutes from our office that should be 'a quickie'. So, we are doing 'a quickie' at lunch.

If I were to say that I was having "a quickie" at lunchtime, it would start all sorts of rumours. icon_wink.gif

I guess the words mean something different over here. LOL

I did log my first cache the other lunchtime. Quite apt, since it was named "Free Lunch".

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman
Originally posted by arffer:

If I were to say that I was having "a quickie" at lunchtime, it would start all sorts of rumours. icon_wink.gif

I guess the words mean something different over here. LOL

I did log my first cache the other lunchtime. Quite apt, since it was named "Free Lunch".

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman
Originally posted by Scott:

At least you'll have fun playing with the GPSR while you're mowing.

I guess that a real adict would have caches hidden in their back garden. Just so they could get a fix (sorry - bad pun) when they can't get out.

It would be fun watching people with GPS units trying to climb over the garage to get at any in my garde. icon_wink.gif

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman
Originally posted by Scott:

At least you'll have fun playing with the GPSR while you're mowing.

I guess that a real adict would have caches hidden in their back garden. Just so they could get a fix (sorry - bad pun) when they can't get out.

It would be fun watching people with GPS units trying to climb over the garage to get at any in my garde. icon_wink.gif

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest boatbubblles

we went geocaching the day after thanksgiving and bagged two caches. the roads were wet and we could not get in far enough on the road due to bad road condition so we hiked 6 miles in to the one cache. more mud than we knew what to do with... two days later and several inchs of snow later here i sit at my computer looking for more caches to find, reviewing maps and wishing the sun was shining and warm outside so i could go get that next cach. (and maybe a little boating and fishing on the side ) only started caching in oct 2001 it has been a short season for me. can't wait for spring THINK WARM THOUGHTS EVERYONE

save a cow... drink milk

[This message has been edited by boatbubblles (edited 09 December 2001).]

Guest infosponge

my 16 y/o daughter who stopped wanting to go hiking a few years ago because it was "boring" now thinks nothing of hiking a few miles with me to get to a cache. My two y/o son is already eager to go walking through the woods with daddy because he knows that there's often a cool toy waiting when we find the little box. It's been a great family thing for sure.

I'm lucky that I work from home (internet consultant) so that gives me some time to go out during the week where most people seem limited to the weekends.

Guest Just a Short Walk

quote:

Man, NEVER tell the Boss!...,

Now you can't use the excuse when you call in "I have Eye Trouble" which really means "I Just can't SEE going to work and missing that new Geocache!

CACHE ON!

Guest Just a Short Walk

quote:

Man, NEVER tell the Boss!...,

Now you can't use the excuse when you call in "I have Eye Trouble" which really means "I Just can't SEE going to work and missing that new Geocache!

CACHE ON!