Taking Dogs on the cache search

Guest Dawn

Please please keep you dogs on a leash when off trail on on rarely used trails - it is very unnerving to be looking for a cache away from the trail and all of a sudden you see to dogs running towards you w/ no owner (or other person) in sight.

------------------

"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

- Second Amendment

to the U.S. Constitution

My dogs are always on leash when hiking. They are corgis. They like to take off. They only time they are outside and off leash is when we do to the baseball fields. They are completely fenced in and they can't get out. So, people do take their dogs on the searches then?

Dawn

I have read numerous cache logs where folks take there dogs along geocaching.Many cachers nicknames are based on their dogs name and the dogs are as much a part of the team as the kids.

quote:
Originally posted by Dawn:

So, people do take their dogs on the searches then?

Dawn

Judging by some of the logs I've read, there are some dogs that do all the cache hunting, and just bring their owners along for the fresh air icon_smile.gif

quote:

So, people do take their dogs on the searches then?

Dawn

Judging by some of the logs I've read, there are some dogs that do all the cache hunting, and just bring their owners along for the fresh air icon_smile.gif

LOL! I might just hook a sled up to them and let them pull me to the cache!

What do you guys take out as gear on a cache hunt? We've ordered a Garmin V and it should be here by next weekend, so hoping to do our first hunt soon.

Dawn

Out here in Southern California, it is not uncommon to find doggie treats in the caches along with the other trinkets. Yrium's caching companion Gromit even has posted a few logs, they make for some funny readings.

Jeff

Guest Gliderguy

Gear:

(some of this is obviously seasonal, and some of it would obviously be overkill for a cache at a city park)

WATER! (note that this is listed BEFORE the GPS!)

GPS

spare batteries

Compass

a trash bag

Topo maps

Snacks

bug repellent

Light jacket

knife of some kind

Flashlight

Phone

FRS radios (if caching in a group)

Whistle / space blanket / signal mirror / small first aid kit (emergency kit)

Trinkets to trade

spare pencil / pen / logbook for cache.

[This message has been edited by Gliderguy (edited 21 October 2001).]

I take my dog with me whenever possible. You can get gear for your dog as well.

I agree, that dogs who do not obey their owners commands should not be permitted to run loose. I rarely leash my dog when in the forest, but then she's extremely well trained and responds to my commands immediately. She is never more than a few feet away from me unless she is sent away for a specific purpose.

Guest logscaler

I will warn if the cache is not a good one for the dogs, as I like to take mine with me, and if it is to rough for a Walker Hound or Blue Tick, then most dogs will be in real trouble. When Red and I where in Yellowstone last year, there was a couple hiking on a trail to the big falls where dogs where not supposed to be. About the same time as we got by them, A Park Rager approached them and asked if they knew what they where doing. They told him that they seen the sign against dogs but they where only going to be there a short time. The where told that what the where actually doing was quote :

" trolling for grizzlies ".

They left back for thier motorhome post haste. The Ranger had a good laugh afterwards and then he told us he was at that spot due to a large griz and her cubs where chasing people around that very morning in that very spot. Makes you look over your shoulder a lot. Off and running.

We bring our dogs on every hunt. That's actually how we got involved w/geocaching. I have always hiked with my dogs and my husband never wanted to go. We own a GPS for boating and a couple months ago I saw an article about geocaching. I showed him the website and ever since...he doesn't miss a hike. It works for both of us; I get to hike with my husband in new places that I've never seen and he gets to play hunter with his GPS. And the dogs...well they just love it! As I'm sure yours will too. Ours just see us preparing for a hunt or hide and they know what's going on.

Make sure to pack enough water & treats for the dogs. Also, check them thoroughly for tics after a hunt. I don't know how bad they are in your area, but we have deer tics running in packs up here this year.

I recall a thread from not too long ago about your question on what to pack.

We bring:

Maps, cache printout

GPS

Compass

Camera

Binnoculars

Batteries

Cache goodies

Pad/Pen

Water

Munchies

Beer

Ziplock bags

Trash bag

Flashlight

Pocket knife

T-paper

Leishes

Treats

Dog bowl

All fits in our backpacks

Happy Hunting!!

Kathy

Maxxer,

Loved your list of things to bring out hunting, especially the beer! Is that for you or the doggie??? LOL! I'm looking forward to our first hunt. Thanks for the replies.

Dawn

quote:

Maxxer,

Loved your list of things to bring out hunting, especially the beer! Is that for you or the doggie??? LOL! I'm looking forward to our first hunt. Thanks for the replies.

Dawn

icon_smile.gif

Oh, they try to get some if we put the container down...but we definitely bring the beer for us...who said geocachers can't be partyers? =P

However, it was real chilly on our last hunt...and we were wishing we brought some hot cider instead of the cold beer May consider that if it's cool on our next one.

We have a tradition that once we find the cache the first thing we do is crack open a beer in celebration. Although, there's been a couple of tough hunts that we had to give in and pop one sooner than the find. =P

We also give the dogs treats/water when we find it. This way when they hear us say "find the cache" they know they get treats once that little treasure is discovered. Eventually they may find it before us.

This is a great hobby Dawn! I hope you enjoy it as much as us!!

Happy Hunting,

Kathy

quote:

Maxxer,

Dawn

icon_smile.gif

Oh, they try to get some if we put the container down...but we definitely bring the beer for us...who said geocachers can't be partyers? =P

However, it was real chilly on our last hunt...and we were wishing we brought some hot cider instead of the cold beer May consider that if it's cool on our next one.

We have a tradition that once we find the cache the first thing we do is crack open a beer in celebration. Although, there's been a couple of tough hunts that we had to give in and pop one sooner than the find. =P

We also give the dogs treats/water when we find it. This way when they hear us say "find the cache" they know they get treats once that little treasure is discovered. Eventually they may find it before us.

This is a great hobby Dawn! I hope you enjoy it as much as us!!

Happy Hunting,

Kathy

s. Add a first aid kit to Maxxer's list, both , for dogs and humans. You won't find many differences. We wish you fair weather, and good luck.

eric43 and the curious monkeys

quote:
Originally posted by eric43:

Add a first aid kit to Maxxer's list, both , for dogs and humans.

Yes, good catch Eric.

Also, I forgot to list my cell phone. That's a must.

And one more thing...we bring our 2-way radios if it's a long hike and there's a bunch of us going. The guys take one and the girls take the other. That way if we (the ladies) get too far ahead of them we can let them know where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by eric43:

Add a first aid kit to Maxxer's list, both , for dogs and humans.

Yes, good catch Eric.

Also, I forgot to list my cell phone. That's a must.

And one more thing...we bring our 2-way radios if it's a long hike and there's a bunch of us going. The guys take one and the girls take the other. That way if we (the ladies) get too far ahead of them we can let them know where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:

Maxxer,

Loved your list of things to bring out hunting, especially the beer!

Dawn

Nice cold beer sounds great! Too bad I think pretty much all parks and forests around here ban alcoholic beverages icon_frown.gif

quote:

Maxxer,

Loved your list of things to bring out hunting, especially the beer!

Dawn

Nice cold beer sounds great! Too bad I think pretty much all parks and forests around here ban alcoholic beverages icon_frown.gif

Great! Then the puppies are going hunting with us, but not next weekend. The little lady is getting spayed on Thursday so a couple of weeks without the doggies. It will give hubby and me a chance to figure out how this game works.

Thanks for the list of things to bring.

Dawn

Flinn, the year old Irish Setter, started caching when we did--always on a leash. He pulled me up many a hill, but it got old taking all his supplies as well as our own in the middle of a scorching midwest summer, so he stayed home most of August and September. And when we started hiding caches, we always put dog treats in them for fellow hunters with pets--another practice that has bit the dust, since any smell seems to attract raccoons in these parts.

Guest DenaliNW

Celts,

Just a thought . . . Flinn is big enough to carry his own stuff. I've done plenty of backpacking with my dogs, and they carry all their own gear in their own packs (Ok, they carry all my trash out too). Check out the link that Makaio gave in his reply. Other than learning that they could no longer squeeze between me and the stump/tree/rock on the right/left all my dogs have adapted just fine.

[This message has been edited by DenaliNW (edited 22 October 2001).]

Well, we got the new toy, errrr GPS. Very cool and small! I've done the simulator and read the owner's manual. Seems easy enough to operate. Now have to figure out how to download cache locations into it. Looks like lots of fun. Seriously considering calling in "sick" tomorrow so I can go play. Don't think the boss would like that. Looking forward to our first hunt this weekend sans dogs, since the baby is getting spayed.

Dawn

quote:
Originally posted by DenaliNW:

Celts,

Just a thought . . . Flinn is big enough to carry his own stuff.

Seriously, don't know why I never thought of that--seems so simple. Perhaps I'm brain dead. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by celts (edited 22 October 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by DenaliNW:

Celts,

Just a thought . . . Flinn is big enough to carry his own stuff.

Seriously, don't know why I never thought of that--seems so simple. Perhaps I'm brain dead. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by celts (edited 22 October 2001).]

Guest bunkerdave

quote:
Originally posted by maxxer:

We have a tradition that once we find the cache the first thing we do is crack open a beer in celebration.

Ha! That would have had me pretty plastered on Saturday. Found 10 of 14 hunted. Imagine!

Takes me back to the old Bob & Doug Mackenzie skits on SNL.

Guest echosgold

We take our dog with us as much as possible geocaching. There have been some times where they are not allowed(some u can sneak by w/ them) We also have a wonderful site that sells outdoor gear for dogs. She is always on leash unless we know areas where you can take them off leash. We have come across a lot of caches that have doggy treats in them too. So bring them, they need the excerise as well as us. Just be sure to pick up after them.

------------------

Echosgold

www.Outdoor-Dog.com - Gear for Active Dogs!

[This message has been edited by echosgold (edited 24 October 2001).]

Guest AlienPuppy

y pups come along when possible. I've actually planned specific cache trips because I think it'll be fun for them. Here is Beanie looking through a cache container...

icon_smile.gif

/Alienpuppy

Guest AlienPuppy

y pups come along when possible. I've actually planned specific cache trips because I think it'll be fun for them. Here is Beanie looking through a cache container...

icon_smile.gif

/Alienpuppy

quote:
Originally posted by Gumby&Pokey:

Out here in Southern California, ...Yrium's caching companion Gromit even has posted a few logs, they make for some funny readings.

Jeff

I am proud of my dog Gromit's writing abilities. When I write I have to pause now and again and hunt for the correct word to use. He sat down at the computer and pounded out this gem of a cache log in just a couple of minutes. Its all the way down on the bottom.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3830

Its also nice to be able to stay in the car and just send Gromit out for the cache when it's raining.

How'd Vagabond ever find out?

--- yrium ---

echosgold's site is the one I wanted to post but couldn't remember/find it. If you decide to purchase dog gear, may as well get it from a fellow geocacher who will no doubt provide more personal customer service icon_smile.gif

echosgold's site is the one I wanted to post but couldn't remember/find it. If you decide to purchase dog gear, may as well get it from a fellow geocacher who will no doubt provide more personal customer service icon_smile.gif

Guest mtn-man

I take my dog J.C. the puppymonster. He even helped find the place for my second cache. He has found some parts of multi-stage caches before me. He is quite the hiker, and you can see his photo on my Kennesaw Mtn Cache page. Try bringing freeze dried pineapple pieces and/or peanut butter so you can give them energy for longer hikes. Water and a water bowl is a must.

Good Luck and Good Hiking... mtn-man

http://geo-man.home.mindspring.com/geokemo2mm.html

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3179

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4189

(J.C. photos looking at the ROVER Traveling Cache)

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! We have taken Foo the wonder dog caching a few times. She's a pomeranian with a big dog attitude. We bought her for Butterfly girl prior to a major surgery......Foo weighs 6 pounds on a good day...

Anyway we did what was supposed to be an easy cache...I peeked at the photos...but fearless leader put in the wrong coordinates. We ended up in a swamp. Growth was 10 times taller than Foo who eventually ended up as a burr magnet...

But she loved every minute of it...not so sure about burr removal though!!

DxChallenged

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

Please please keep you dogs on a leash when off trail on on rarely used trails

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! My dog would disown me if i put him on a leash. We hike 100's, probably 1,000+ miles a year without one... don't even own one! He's well behaved, loves everyone, won't bite anyone and if anyone's scared of him, well, too bad, that's really not our problem. Unfortunately, there are people out there with aggresive dogs and/or dogs who aren't well behaved... does that mean everyone should put their dog on a leash? Yeah, right. There are people in the world who hurt and kill others... do we put all people in jail for precautionary measures?

Guest mtn-man

Well in GA, you must have your dog on a leash. It is too bad that you only think of yourself and do not consider others as you hike with your dog not under control.

Two weekends ago I was hiking on a trail and up came a loose dog. There were two groups of hikers around the dog, and I asked them to put the dog on a leash (that is the LAW here in GA). Both groups said the dog did not belong to them, and appeared to be lost. We never saw the owner looking for it, and it was a shame to see a scared, nervous lost dog in the middle of the wilderness in N. GA. What if the dog started going off trail and really got lost before he gets back with his all knowing owner? (I am sorry, but if my dog got out of my sight up in the mountains I would be running up and down the trail freaking out looking for him.)

I would recommend exercising some responsibility with your pets, and keep them leashed for their sake. When I saw the dog, I had no idea what his temperament was and there was no owner controlling the dog. I consider myself lucky that this dog was too scared as he was looking for his owner to be aggressive, but I really felt sorry for the dog. I think it is inexcusable to be negligent and not keep control of your pet. Your pet relies on you to be responsible. Your dog does not have a GPS. It is a shame you put other people and your pet through potential unnecessary grief because you are too lazy to hold a leash. Sorry to be so direct, but you need to consider others.

Found a very nice backpack for Flinn the Irish Setter at a local petstore-- kelly green, will look very nice with his coat! Came home and told him about it--said we'd buy it for him for Christmas. He was SO excited, or pensive or ....http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~yeehaw/setter.jpg

Perhaps I need to re-think that talking thing, 'cause if he could talk, that would totally end the peace and quiet in the woods. I'm sure it would go something like this: Oh boy,oh boy,oh boy--I get to go bye-bye in the car. The cats can't go-hahahahaha!They never get to go. Wait--we passed the vet's office, goody goody goody --we aren't going to the vet!!!Can I sit in the front seat?--I want to sit on your lap. Where are we going, are we there yet? I don't want to wear this thing on my back--take it off or I'll take it off myself and rip it into tiny shreads--I don't CARE how much it cost or if it looks good against my coat!!Get it OFF. Where are we going? Oh boy-we're getting out of the car--look, there's a squirrel. I didn't mean to tangle my leash around that tree. Get up--you aren't hurt--it was just a small hill. A little mud never hurt anyone. No--I don't WANT to go home--we've only been looking for 2 hours. I know I can help you find it. Maybe it's in THAT log over THERE....

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by celts:

If ONLY he could talk

Speaking of talking, I must confess that everytime I see this thread listed in the forums, I swear it says "Talking Dogs on the cache search."

Man, I've got to lay off the caffeine. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

31H/124F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by celts:

If ONLY he could talk

Speaking of talking, I must confess that everytime I see this thread listed in the forums, I swear it says "Talking Dogs on the cache search."

Man, I've got to lay off the caffeine. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

31H/124F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html