Riddle-style geocaches

Guest c_oflynn

Guest c_oflynn

Hello,

I just got my GPS yesterday, and already am planning a cache to place icon_wink.gif It is one with a bunch of riddles in it. I just wondered how many people do this? My final container is like this. And there is a bunch of camoflashed small containers that hide the questions. How are you doing the riddles? I have a riddle with a bunch of possible answers. Each one has a cordinate by it, and if you guess the wrong one you are at the wrong spot. I've seen a few around, but am interested in what you have to say!

-Colin

Guest c_oflynn

I didn't have any "good" containers around, and didn't want to go to the store. So I found "stuff" I had around.

It cost me $0.00 I made it by:

1. Getting some PVC piping I had

2. Cutting two Kraft peanut butter jars in half, and riviting them on the ends

3. Riviting some flexable tubing on as handle

4. Tried to drill big hole in center for window, failed and rivited metal plate over to cover up my falure

5. drilled a few smaller holes in tube

6. Rivited plastic stuff over holes, to form a window (a total of 32 rivits)

7. Use a bunch of silicon selent to seal it (put it pretty much everywhere).

8. Paint it all green

9. Now apply black spraypaint to form Camo.

Took a few hours, but loads of fun!

Unfortunutly now it has a bit of white on it. I got some stuff that I thought was clear (as it was called "Laquor Coating"), but turned out to be fast-dry white. Ooops icon_wink.gif Oh well, just a bit is on it.

-Colin

Guest Markwell

These types of "riddle caches" are actually my favorite. I've placed two multi-stage caches in our area. First one Quasimodo's Quandary (GC881) is a pretty easy one, using existing landmarks with numbers etched in concrete to build the last coordinates. The next one Hard as Pi (GCC9D) is what I've been bragging as a level 1.5 terrain and level 5 difficulty (see other forum).

Unfortunately, I haven't seen too many of these types around, although there is one in the far north of Chicago that I think I'll be hitting this weekend.

BTW - VERY COOL CONTAINER. I made similar ones to Hard as Pi for the first three legs: PVC tube capped on one end, screw top on the other and painted it all brown (to blend for any season).

Guest Prime Suspect

Another good riddle cache is GC911. The cache owner really put a lot of work into figuring this one out The clues make no sense until you find the starting location, and even then you may not "get it" right away. Probably the toughest cache I've found so far.

Guest c_oflynn

Hi,

"Hard as Pi" sounds interesting... I guess the clues involve math stuff. So far it seems no one has found it! I only made one of thoese containers, as it is pretty big (few feet long). For the rest I used small containers, then hot-glued bark and sticks on them for camoflague.

I could never right a riddle that long (CG911)! It does looks like a ton of work! Interesting to try though...

Guest Prime Suspect

e calculations on a spreadsheet. Finally came up with a matrix of 6 possible coordinates. When I got to the area, I could toss out 3 of them, since they were inside fenced-off private property. The other three were closely grouped together, within a 100 feet or so of each other, so the rest was just trial-and-error. I do think the complexity of collecting the clue answers (took me the better part of an hour, but I didn't start out in a systematic manner) has scared off some seekers. We've got about 35 caches now in the Dallas area, and there's practically a race to see who can find a new cache first. But CG911 has been around 6 weeks or so, and only 3 people have located it. I think probably a lot more have gone to the start site, but not logged it on the web.

Guest Snowtrail

I could totally get into trying to find a riddle. There is a parking deck in Charlotte that lights up and plays a tone when you touch the building (no kidding). If you touch the panels in a certain order, the building will play music. When 35 people have solved the riddle, the owner will change it.

It's been 3 years, and we have yet to figure it out. But we keep trying.

Guest c_oflynn

I had one idea, but this would be really hard: Get a rubix cube, and write the cordinents on it. Then fill in the rest with random numbers. Then tell them where the coridents are (say on the blue side, starting at top). When they solve it they can get the cordinents! Fairly complex though!

Colin

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by c_oflynn:

Get a rubix cube, and write the cordinents on it. Then fill in the rest with random numbers. Then tell them where the coridents are (say on the blue side, starting at top). When they solve it they can get the cordinents! Fairly complex though!

Actually not that hard. You could figure out the coordinates without actually solving the Rubiks Cube. Just determine the placement of each color if it was solved and write out the coordinates that way.

Of course some folks wouldn't think about that and try to solve the cube. Kind of a lateral thinking puzzle or puzzle puzzle, depending on how you solve it. icon_smile.gif

Jeremy

Guest c_oflynn

Both ways are good! If they are no good at rubiks cubes (like me), then at least there is another way of doing it. I still haven't been able to place my cache yet icon_frown.gif Hopefully they weather will be good tomorrow!

Colin

Guest c_oflynn

Yeah! I placed my first cache on Saturday icon_biggrin.gif It was fun! 5 waypoints in all, pretty good. I hope my GPS was accurate, I could only get 3 satallites, as the place it is in is a ravine, so I could only get overhead satallites and ones at 45 degrees to me. I'll have to go back and check sometime. Now just to find one someone elses cache...

Colin

Guest Snowtrail

Or you you pose a math question that has multiple choice answers - each with a set or coords beside it. I'm bad at math, so I'd probably skip trying to solve the math question and just visit each of the four coords icon_smile.gif