Attention all web geeks

Guest regoarrarr

Guest regoarrarr

Hello. As a fellow web geek, I'm starting this thread in an attempt to see if we, as part of the Geocaching community, can come up with some sort of way to pitch in to help Jeremy with the site.

There are a number of features that it would be cool to add. These I think have been detailed in another thread, but include, ability to search for Bugs near you, ability to edit your logs after they're posted, ability to select All for download to EasyGPS, etc.

This thread I start in hopes to coordinate some efforts to help Jeremy out in adding some of these features. Running a website like this is a LOT of work.

So who's got some ideas?

I speak for myself only but if some sort of copyright issue is a problem, I'm more than willing to sign any sort of release forms, and I'm willing to work for free.

My initial thoughts are to create some sort of central repository of ideas. Perhaps a separate forum here. One thread can be the list of ideas to work on, maintained by somebody. Other threads can be started up where we debate the pros and cons of certain additions. Perhaps a panel of 3 or 5 can approve any changes, with Jeremy naturally having veto power.

As for getting the developers access to the code, perhaps some sort of general FTP repository can be set up, where developers can be given limited access. Then Jeremy, or soemone else can review the code before it goes into production.

So what does everyone else think?

dan.

Guest Artful Dodger

Since this web site is basically run by a one-man show, I think it would be difficult to give away any controlling and/or design authority on the website.

There are many areas where one can enhance/improve the site (See the various Wish Lists). Letting other people get their hand on the design leads to dissemination of control.

It may be a case of "Too many cooks spoil the broth" although some people may see it as "Many hands make light work"

[This message has been edited by Artful Dodger (edited 31 October 2001).]

Guest regoarrarr

I definitely agree that Jeremy would not want to give away design control of the site. But, having run my own site that is probably at least as popular as geocaching.com, I do know that there is a lot of work, and not a lot of time for the one-person crew to do it.

This is nothing against Jeremy, I for one am very grateful for all the time and money and efforts he has already put in to the site. I'm just looking for a way to help out, if possible.

Maybe an example to show what I mean. You mentioned the wish lists, let's take one thing I read today. In another thread, someone asked if he could download all the caches in Georgia. Several posters in that thread remarked that it would be a cool feature to have the ability to "check all" on the search results page to download all 25 at once instead of having to click every checkbox.

This is a 5 minute code change - a very simple JavaScript. But it might not get implemented right away. And this is nothing against Jeremy - I hope I can make that clear that I have nothing but respect for him, but the simple fact is that he's just one person, and he has an outside life that is not just this website.

Now maybe the suggestions I had are not the answer. Maybe Jeremy is not comfortable with the thought of having several developers able to modify code on what is in fact, his site. If that's the case then okay, I'm fine with that.

I started this thread to talk about the issue, so that all of us as a community can try to come up with ways to get the best of both worlds. How to keep Jeremy in charge of his site (which I think we all still want) while at the same time pitching in to add new features quicker.

If it so be that a few extra developers is not the best solution, then maybe there is something else that can be done. Maybe we can create some sort of forum / thread where a list of desired features is maintained and updated as new features come out, in order of desirability. So when Jeremy gets a few hours and wants to spend some time coding, he can go to this forum and see the improvements that the community wants most. And maybe he as the owner would decide to work on something else - that's his prerogative but at least it would be out there.

I'm just trying to open up the discussion.

dan.

quote:
Originally posted by regoarrarr:

In another thread, someone asked if he could download all the caches in Georgia. Several posters in that thread remarked that it would be a cool feature to have the ability to "check all" on the search results page to download all 25 at once instead of having to click every checkbox.

Cool, looks like Jeremy has got the "check all" button installed!