Problems w/ IE6

Guest gordhog

Guest gordhog

I just upgraded to IE6 from IE5. Because of this upgrade, I am unable to fully utilize some of the major features of TopoZone. Some of the problems are the inability to take advantage of the coordinates of my cursor location, the ability to "mark" a spot on their maps and the inability to reposition the map by clicking on the map itself. The newsgroups devoted to IE6 are also reporting similar problems on other Java supported sites. The general consensis is that you stay with IE5 or go to Netscape.

Thanks,

Mike (gordhog)

mike@psln.com

Microsoft awhile back implemented their own variation of Java, in violation of the Java liscensing with SUN. SUN sued, and won. Microsoft in turm dropped support of JAVA, thinking JAVA would then go away. Yeah right.

So, IE6 has no support for JAVA. Suggest you stick with IE5.5 for now.

Guest Peter Scholtz

Another arrogant move by the m$ monopoly.

Dropping Java from Windows XP and thus from IE6. Apparently it will offer a download prompt when you connect to Java pages.

Considering the 100's of MB required to run this bloatware there is no way they can justify this move.

Try Opera as an alternative small & fast browser.

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

[This message has been edited by Peter Scholtz (edited 09 September 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

although their language spec was basically the same, their DOM (document object model -- the thing that says what you call the window, the stuff in it, the UI, et al) was incompatible (this is the reason "javascript" and DHTML are such a pain in the paperweight).

Anyway, every version of IE since "jscript" was added has changed the DOM, forcing web developers to rewrite code to add workarounds for yet another IE version. I can only assume that they've done it again -- or maybe they've even disabled javascript/jscript/ECMAscript by default (the latter being the name of the version of javascript that was approved by the EMCA standards body).

In other words, their unbundling of an ancient JVM (java virtual machine) is not the cause of your problem this time. Neither is their removal of the code that allows you to use plugins (now you can only use the safe and secure ActiveX controls). No, this time it was their decision to mess up ECMAscript (I'm not downloading it to find out if it's disabled by default or rather yet another incompatible DOM, but if it's the latter, maybe they moved more toward the standard... hehe, like I belive that).