RAM mount info

Guest tnunnery

Guest tnunnery

I am looking for a good automotive (windshield suction cup) mount for a Garmin eTrex Vista. After trying several disappointing models, a friend suggested that I try RAM mounts. I assume I would need model RAM-B-148-GA5U ($38.00 from TVNAV). Does anyone know if it has a fully articulated ball joint that allows flexible positioning? Also, does it have one ball joint (at the base of the suction cup only) or two (one at the base of the cradle as well)?

I sent an email to TVNAV asking these same questions but haven't gotten a response. Can anyone here offer any insight? Thanks for any information you can provide!

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by tnunnery:

Does anyone know if it has a fully articulated ball joint that allows flexible positioning?

Yes.

quote:
Also, does it have one ball joint (at the base of the suction cup only) or two (one at the base of the cradle as well)?

Two. The suction cup mount consists of the suction cup with ball that connects to the cradle with ball via an arm. Think of the arm as two separate pieces that are spring loaded, with a tightening screw. When you loosen the screw, the two halves of the arm separate, allowing you to move the GPS to just about any position you can imagine. Then you tighten down the screw, and the halves of the arm clamp down on the balls. I use this setup in my truck and on my snowmobile, and it can handle massive amounts of vibration and shock. You'll love it!

You can see a pretty good picture of the setup at http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_mounts_ram.html#gr3s .

Guest tnunnery

Thanks for the info. The pics on that site are a great help. I may order from there since I *still* haven't heard from TVNAV. So much for the good service I have heard about from them...