Near Death Experience with Mag 315

JasonW

This morning I set out with BumbleBee to bag a few caches - and without warning all of a sudden the GPS cut out of all satellite receiving. In fact the constellation screen was just showing the azimuth rings, and no satellites.

Tried reinitialising it, and still no satellites showing on the constellation screen. Called in at my dad's house to see if his GPS was showing the same lack of satellites - expecting that it would be functioning 'as normal' - which it was.

Started to clear the memories on the GPS until one by one which made no difference to the constellation screen.

Went for a full restart (before I invoked the doomsday scenario - and reflashed the firmware) and it sprang back into life...... took Dad's unit as a backup just in case, but it's been AOK all day.

Anyone else seen this - or anything like it - happen ?

(Email to Thales Tech Support is on it's way)

6279_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by JasonW:

This morning I set out with BumbleBee to bag a few caches - and without warning all of a sudden the GPS cut out of all satellite receiving. In fact the constellation screen was just showing the azimuth rings, and no satellites.

I've had flukes like that too. Sometimes the GPSr indicates I'm at 30,000 flying at 500 mph 60 miles from my present location.

Everytime I drive through Chicago, The GPSr doesn't work on the eastern side.

There has been some heavy auroal activity recently as well - this can play havoc with a GPSrs.

Finally, I recently read that there will be interruptions with service over the next few days. Matter of fact, I believe the first day was today. Don't quote me on any of this.

Best suggestion, talk to this guy:

http://www.cnde.iastate.edu/staff/swormley/gps/gps.html

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif