Reading hundreds of miles off? Why?

The other day I was geocaching in a canyon, and getting a good lock was spotty at best. A couple times I did get a reading, but it showed my position as about 256 miles away from my nearest waypoint, which I know was only 300-400 feet away. icon_confused.gif I got my readings from only 4 satelites, all lined up in a row. Could the funky reading be caused by lack of triangulation? The unit's a spanking new eTrex Venture. In open areas it reads fine. Thanks all.

I had this happen once shortly after getting my new Magellan Gold I was in a canyon under heavy oak cover I'd stopped to talk to the park ranger, after Talking for about 5 mins. I started out and thats when everthing went haywire, it was showing that I was about 40 miles away and traveling at over 200 mph, I shut the unit down restarted it, same thing I even pulled the batteries for 10 mins. it was still acting up. It didn't straighten up until I was almost back to the car. Its never done it again????????????????

All who look are not lost

Can be for many reasons, sometimes system, sometimes user operation, which is one reason why system accuracy, availability etc is based on Signal-in-space (SIS) specifications as there are some things, circumstances which can't be totally controlled both on the system side and the user side.

One reason why accuracy is quoted at the 95% level as there's that other 4% uncertainty and especially the last 1% which can be totally unknown and uncontrollable.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

Yup...I was walking near a cache here in NJ when my emap suddenly told me I was travelling several hundred miles an hour to Syracuse, NY, and then back again. My wife thinks the plane flying over head at the time had some sort of secret anti-gps weapon on it....Never happened again...I wonder if all these things happened at the same time...or when the same plane was overhead? icon_wink.gif

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by vagabond:

I had this happen once shortly after getting my new Magellan Gold I was in a canyon under heavy oak cover I'd stopped to talk to the park ranger, after Talking for about 5 mins. I started out and thats when everthing went haywire, it was showing that I was about 40 miles away and traveling at over 200 mph, I shut the unit down restarted it, same thing I even pulled the batteries for 10 mins. it was still acting up. It didn't straighten up until I was almost back to the car. Its never done it again????????????????

All who look are not lost