Mapopolis Map Problem

AndyCr15

I have installed Mapopolis, on the website it says you download the map files and place them anywhere on the device and it will use them.

I have done this, but it still says no maps installed? Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Also, I downloaded GPXView, but is the only way I can get Gpx files to pay to register on here? As someone just wanting to try geocaching, thats not a good option for me icon_frown.gif

Will I need any other software apart from these two peices?

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCr15:

I have installed Mapopolis, on the website it says you download the map files and place them anywhere on the device and it will use them.

I have done this, but it still says no maps installed? Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Make sure you are getting the right version and type of map. That is, make sure you have downloaded the PocketPC maps (has a .mlp extension) and not the Palm maps (has a .pdb extension, I think). There's also an option on the "choose map" screen (if you can get that far, I don't think you can in a no-map situation) that lets you pick which folder to have mapopolis hunt for maps.

quote:

Also, I downloaded GPXView, but is the only way I can get Gpx files to pay to register on here? As someone just wanting to try geocaching, thats not a good option for me icon_frown.gif

The only other way is if someone in your area will slip you a "demo" of their GPX file(s). But yes, that's the only official way. icon_smile.gif

If you're truly looking for a simple "what's this thing about?" demo, you can grab an ancient GPX from this link that goes to ClayJar's downloads for his Watcher application (another GPX app).

quote:

Will I need any other software apart from these two peices?

That depends on you. While I use both of those applications while geocaching, I found more than a hundred geocaches before going the PDA route. Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't want to go back now.. icon_wink.gif

Hope that helps a bit!

alex

[This message was edited by alexm on August 26, 2003 at 06:50 PM.]