Meridian Platinum vs. Garmin EMAP

J0ck0

After reading the posts about the Platinum vs. Sportrac, I was dead set on getting the Platinum until I called a GPS dealer here in town. He deals strictly in Garmin because he says they are the best (I know, just an opinion). He spoke with me about the EMAP. It also has the option to add more memory, but the memory is Garmin's own proprietary memory (which is considerably more expensive than the SD cards that the Platinum takes). How do these two units compare and which would be the better option? Is the mapping software that comes with both comparable? I'm new to GPS and geocaching, but I am looking forward to getting started. Thanks for the help.

But also realize that it's on it's last legs...it's been around for a couple of years now and I'm sure Garmin has something coming soon to replace it. That said, I still prefer my eMap over my Meridian Gold...I'd go on more about these two units but I'm a bit short on time at the moment. Maybe more later on... icon_biggrin.gif

I haven't had any experience with the Garmin but my MeriPlat absolutely rocks. I did purchase the Topo Map US as well as a 128MB SD RAM card. I created a map that includes Washington, Oregon and the west part of Idaho, I think it took up about 50 MB. The map's fairly accurate, although I wish they released updates for new subdivisions, etc. Overall, I really like the unit.

I bought it on eBay about six months ago for $300 (not including accessories.)