What can I get for my garmin 38

Guest BLEdwardsJ

Guest BLEdwardsJ

I'm pretty new to the game and GPS use in general. I purchased a used Garmin 38 which seems to work fine. I would like to know if I can get a data cable for it and a 12 volt power supply. Are these availabe for this unit? Are there any other 38 users out there I didnt notice any on the users list?

------------------

The 38 takes the same round, 4-pin connector as the GPS12 and many other Garmin models. For data only you can use any cable designed for Garmin models II/III+/V/12/12XL/12Map, but if you want a power or power+data cable it should be designed for the GPS12 since it and the 38 operate on 5-8 VDC and require a voltage regulator in the cable to reduce the 12 VDC input.

A plastic pin in the middle of the connector prevents you from inadvertently plugging in an unregulated power cable from a III+/12XL/etc. that do not need the external voltage regulator.

Guest bob_renner

The cable gives you the capability to upload and download waypoints and routes. You can download the waypoints from geocaching.com and then upload them to your G-38. It makes it a lot easier than trying to input the coordinates and names of the caches using the rocker switch on the G-38 (and less error prone). If you have any mapping software, you can view where you have been (your track log) on the maps. Basically, the cable is a required accessory.

Bob

I have found 5 programs for managing waypoints, routes etc. and handling the up and downlosding. I have no idea which is easiest or best. They are: gpsdb, GARtrip, Waypoint, EasyGPS and GPSU 4.03. If anyone is knowledgeable about any or all and would like to share their comments, I would really appreciate it.