Mapsource and GPS Don't Agree

ZebraTJ

I created a route using Mapsource Metro guide and downloaded it to my Magellan 76S. I downloaded only the map for the origin city. While on I65 south the GPS said we were 4.8 miles to the left of the route. What is causing such a large error and is there a way to correct it? I thought I read somewhere that some units can lock onto a feature. In other words to assume that you are always on the road even if the coordinates being received show that you aren't.

The downloaded "route" just consists of a series of points that indicate where you need to turn onto another road or sometimes where the road name changes. The 76S will just connect those points, so if the road curves off to the right for awhile it'll show that you're some distance to the left of the route. Ignore this "course deviation" indication - it's really only applicable to travel by boat or plane in designated channels, not to road travel.

Just watch the bearing and distance to next waypoint indicators. The distance will decrease to 0 as you approach your next turn and the bearing pointer will switch to the following waypoint so you see which way to turn.

Where I live, gps maps are very inacurate due to so many changes made to the street system. A few streets have moved, 1 grew over a mile and ther would have to be 20 new ones in the past year alone. I still use it for strange areas, but I also am ready for big changes from what should be there. Sheridan is growing way to fast for me.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

quote:
Originally posted by ZebraTJ:

I created a route using Mapsource Metro guide and downloaded it to my Magellan 76S.

There's your problem buddy - you're using a Magellan 76S. icon_smile.gif

Garmin eTrex Vista, Legend, and GPSmap 162 with Bluecharts/Fishing Hotspots/POI/Road & Rec

Ducks - flying geocaches of meat

This is the most recent thread about the same problem I have, so let's see

if there is any new knowledge about it. I have a Garmin Vista and

Metroguide 5.0. I created a route in Metroguide, where it is shown conforming to

the roads connecting the points I clicked. When downloaded to the Vista,

it appears as only straight lines connecting those points.

Is there no feature in the Vista to follow roads rather than line segments?

Is the Metroguide route distance true or is it this piecewise linear approximation?

Can the Vista tell me the length of a route? I see area, but not total length.

Edited by teamplayer