Road Lock on ETrex Legend?

Guest fire23

Guest Prime Suspect

For use when driving. The system assumes you're on a mapped road, and will place the icon representing your current position on the nearest roadway (assuming you've got maps loaded, and you're not *too* far from a road). Not too useful in my opinion, since it seems to take a while to determine that you've actually made a turn, then the map jumps to a new position.

Guest mkral

How do you enable Road Lock on your legend? I have one too and haven't been able to find a choice for it anywhere in the unit. I haven't seen it in the maual either.

thanks,

Mark

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by mkral:

bob, many thanks. I read that page too, and I never saw that.

Just a bit of info ... I talked to Garmin on a related issue and asked about the road lock. IT DOESN'T WORK on any mapping software other than the metro guides or the roads & Rec. Does not work on topo or the built in base map ... nice huh?

Guest MountainDiver

Yeah, I had noticed that it didn't work with the topo maps (which is all I have loaded on mine). Of course, the topo maps are so out of date that half the roads around here seem to be missing...

------------------

The MountainDiver

N 34 01.649

W084 27.211

"GPS satellites are nice because they can answer two of the three most common questions in my life: "What time is it?" and "Where am I?" If they could also somehow determine whether I have any clean underwear left, the bases would be covered." --- The Brunching Shuttlecocks

Guest Hawk-eye
Originally posted by MountainDiver:

Very true ... actually if you zoom in on parts of NC or Kentucky you can see trail blazes left by Daniel Boone himself!

Guest fire23

I noticed that the maps were very old. It doesn't seem to recognize the new (constructed in the early 1970's) interstates! It shows the old frontage roads as being the interstates in many areas in Montana.