Is the Garmin eTrex Legend a good unit?

Guest cubs

Guest Rootbeer

They're all good. Some are more good than others. icon_biggrin.gif

Have you seen the Guide to Buying a GPS for geocaching? It has plenty of advice.

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/gps_buying.asp

If you're merely going to use the gadget for geocaching, you can get by just fine with one of the bare-basics units for $99-$125. (the yellow Garmin eTrex or the Magellan 315, say.) But you can spend a lot more if you try hard enough.... Some units have nice features that can help, but there's no point in paying for a barometric altimeter, say, if you will never need one. A built-in electronic compass is nice, but you can buy a dozen of the old-fashioned kind of compass with the money you save by getting a simpler unit. (But I should confess that I myself am sorely tempted to buy one of the top-of-the-line models with rack-and-pinion batteries, tartar-control satellite lock, and simulated wood-grain exterior, even though it costs $500 more than what I have now. icon_biggrin.gif)

Unless you know that you'll be needing more features, I recommend getting the cheapest unit that does what you need. Then you won't have spent so much when you decide to buy the fancier model six months later. It's also worth noting that (in general) batteries will last longer in units which don't have so many bells and whistles, so the expensive ones can stay expensive after you buy them, too.

Hope this helps!

Guest Rootbeer

They're all good. Some are more good than others. icon_biggrin.gif

Have you seen the Guide to Buying a GPS for geocaching? It has plenty of advice.

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/gps_buying.asp

If you're merely going to use the gadget for geocaching, you can get by just fine with one of the bare-basics units for $99-$125. (the yellow Garmin eTrex or the Magellan 315, say.) But you can spend a lot more if you try hard enough.... Some units have nice features that can help, but there's no point in paying for a barometric altimeter, say, if you will never need one. A built-in electronic compass is nice, but you can buy a dozen of the old-fashioned kind of compass with the money you save by getting a simpler unit. (But I should confess that I myself am sorely tempted to buy one of the top-of-the-line models with rack-and-pinion batteries, tartar-control satellite lock, and simulated wood-grain exterior, even though it costs $500 more than what I have now. icon_biggrin.gif)

Unless you know that you'll be needing more features, I recommend getting the cheapest unit that does what you need. Then you won't have spent so much when you decide to buy the fancier model six months later. It's also worth noting that (in general) batteries will last longer in units which don't have so many bells and whistles, so the expensive ones can stay expensive after you buy them, too.

Hope this helps!

quote:
Originally posted by cubs:

Please tell me if the garmin eTrex Legend is a good unit to stat with in gps navigation.

I have a legend. I find the extra bells and whistles usefull. I especially like the tracking feature for off-roading, it makes it hard to get lost. I am not sure if this is available on cheaper ones.

[This message has been edited by RLO (edited 25 October 2001).]

Guest Rootbeer

quote:
Originally posted by prv8eye:

What units get 20+ hours?

The basic yellow Garmin eTrex, for one, if you put it into "battery-saver" mode. Or at least, so Garmin claims; but I see no reason to disbelieve them.

I use NiMHs in mine, and (even when not in battery-saver mode) they last for quite a while. Longer than I do, at least! icon_smile.gif

Guest Rootbeer

quote:
Originally posted by prv8eye:

What units get 20+ hours?

The basic yellow Garmin eTrex, for one, if you put it into "battery-saver" mode. Or at least, so Garmin claims; but I see no reason to disbelieve them.

I use NiMHs in mine, and (even when not in battery-saver mode) they last for quite a while. Longer than I do, at least! icon_smile.gif

Guest Choberiba

quote:
Originally posted by RLO:

I especially like the tracking feature for off-roading, it makes it hard to get lost. I am not sure if this is available on cheaper ones.

The standard eTrex has a tracklog, as does my Magellan Companion.

I've bought two Magellan 330's as gifts for friends, but I've never seen one in person.

I can't tell you if the basic Maggies offer this, but I'll eat my hat if they don't.

I will mention one note on performance, since I have both an Etrex Vista and a Mag 315. There is a noticable difference in satllite reception under tree cover with the Mag 315 able to hold lock better and keep a more accurate track log. The Mag315 can be carried in my coat pocket, leaving my hands free for my camera, and stiil hold sat lock. With the Vista, under most situations , I have to carry it un my hand to maintain a continuous sat lock and track log.

This does't make one unit necessarily better than the other, and might not be something that is a priority to you. It is just a consideration when buying if you live in an area that is predominately forested.

The subject of antenna types and reception has been talked about frequently and seems to be the only complaint some people have about their GPSR's.

Guest gstrong1

I agree with navdog.Before you buy,check antenna design.I own 3 Garmins, one of them the eTrex Vista, & the antenna design on the eTrex series is not ideal.The Vista is a great little unit, but I think under extreme overhead tree cover conditions, the maggies have the edge.

gimpy.gif

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

[This message has been edited by gstrong1 (edited 27 October 2001).]

Guest scruffy

I have a Mag 315 and an Etrex Venture. I think the interface for the etrex is far superior to the Mag. The other thing about the Mag is the averaging feature. I either don't know how to use it properly, or its truly a nuiscance. The Mag often doesn't realize I'm moving when having to go very slow, like scrambling up a hillside; and doesn't give an accuracy reading when not moving. I seem to spend alot more time going in circles with the Mag before zeroing in. If you take the time to let it average however, it seems very accurate. The averaging just doesn't seem a good feature for geocaching. I would agree heavy tree cover reception is better with the Mag.

If I had to choose between one, I would go with the etrex. The enhanced interface and ergos overcome the few shortcomings it has when compared with the mag 315.

Guest Walkin Stick

With a user name like cubs, I'd say that the Legend is a very good starter GPSR. If you're user name was rockies or mariners, I'd suggest you look for one with a little better antenna.

Read that: It depends on (among other things) where (and under what conditions) you intend to use it.

[This message has been edited by Walkin Stick (edited 28 October 2001).]