Please help with Meridian question.

ApK

Hi Y'all,

keknj has expressed two concerns over her new MeriGreen. Maybe you can offer some insights before I have take her GPS shopping again. . ..

1. The car power adapter is a pain to screw in and out. Anyone know if the mounting brackets offer a quick-connect or something, or has anyone tried using a cam device to replace the screw?

2. My eMap always shows a line on the map screen connecting your current position with your destination waypoint. She likes this for road navigation because, lacking door to door routing, it gives a sense of when you might want to make a turn, even if your waypoint isn't visible at the current map scale. The Meri seems to draw a line from where you were when you set the waypoint (more useful for watching cross-track error while hiking, I guess.

Does the Meri have feature to always draw a line (or at least point an arrow?) toward your destination on the map screen that perhaps from one of those hidden menus? Or has anyone heard if an upcoming software release will have this feature?

Thanks heaps.

ApK

1. the car power adapter is an easy click in and click out process. I also hate the screw-in connector for the power/data cable, but using it in the car cradle is super easy and doesn't require any effort or awkwardness. I may have to get one for my computer. :-)

2. With a route or goto active, there are several screens which either draw a course line or indicate how to get to your destination. You have several options!

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

1. the car power adapter is an easy click in and click out process

Good to know, thanks!

quote:

2. With a route or goto active, there are several screens which either draw a course line or indicate how to get to your destination. You have several options!

What she wants is a graphical indicator of direction to destination (bearing) on the street map screen, either an arrow pointing 'thataway' or a line from current position to waypoint.

Just got my Platinum Meridian, and looked hard for something like the 'constantly updating goto line' you describe, since it sounds like a useful feature. You can set up the map to display 'course up', which will make the top of the map display be in the direction of the next waypoint, but I don't think it's dynamic, i.e., it just uses the bearing between the two waypoints. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

Next best thing might be the compass screen, which will graphically display both your heading and bearing to the next waypoint. With the Platinum's magnetic compass this is really cool, as when you stop to ask "now which way?", the compass will update as you turn in place. Just turn until the bearing and heading line up and start marching.

Dave

Displaying the course to the destination in a visual manner on the map screen is something that several people (including myself) have complained about to Magellan. Hopefully there will be a fix soon. However, other than displaying CTS data, there is no way to show the bearing to the destinaion on the map screen.

[This message was edited by harrkev on March 18, 2002 at 05:28 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by harrkev:

However, other than displaying CTS data, there is no way to show the bearing to the destinaion on the map screen.

Now I take out my little

Garmin Vista (you noticed Garmin icon_razz.gif ?), and ask it to show the bearing on the map display.

POOOOF! There is that little line for you, you are very welcome... icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

24148_200.jpg

Anders

quote:

However, other than displaying CTS data, there is no way to show the bearing to the destinaion on the map screen.

Now I take out my little

Garmin Vista (you noticed Garmin icon_razz.gif ?), and ask it to show the bearing on the map display.

POOOOF! There is that little line for you, you are very welcome... icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

24148_200.jpg

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Now I take out my little

_Garmin_ Vista (you noticed _Garmin_ icon_razz.gif ), and ask it to show the bearing on the map display.

Anders

And to download 128MB of map data, I just take out the card, pop it in the SD writer, and POOF! In a few minutes I have several states written! Try that one icon_razz.gif

quote:

Now I take out my little

_Garmin_ Vista (you noticed _Garmin_ icon_razz.gif ), and ask it to show the bearing on the map display.

Anders

And to download 128MB of map data, I just take out the card, pop it in the SD writer, and POOF! In a few minutes I have several states written! Try that one icon_razz.gif

quote:

...and I just pop in the same size chip with superior Mapsource data into my GARMIN eMap, Poof! Now, if the little sucker was just waterproof, armored, had WAAS, better antennae.... [;)]

Seriously, though, it's good to know that others gave requested similar functionaility in the Magellans. Perhaps I can look forward to it in upcoming update. Thank goodness for flashable firmware!

quote:

...and I just pop in the same size chip with superior Mapsource data into my GARMIN eMap, Poof! Now, if the little sucker was just waterproof, armored, had WAAS, better antennae.... [icon_smile.gif]

Seriously, though, it's good to know that others gave requested similar functionaility in the Magellans. Perhaps I can look forward to it in upcoming update. Thank goodness for flashable firmware!

quote:

Which means that what we really want is this _Mag-Min_ GPS unit, with all the pros and no cons, in one single unit.

Maybe we should start making our own, now when geocaching is transforming into a business anyway???

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/avatar/24148_200.jpg

Anders

Yeah! I have a roll of duct tape and a swiss army knife, I'll do what I can!